Inherited

Started by Dyess, April 04, 2015, 08:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

Is the PTSD inherited? Or maybe the depression? My Dad's side of the family all had "nerve" issues. He was so on edge all the time the least little thing would send him off in a rage. Especially road rage. Or people being stupid, as people usually will do. Is this where I'm headed?

schrödinger's cat

Isn't there this study that babies born after 9/11 had some hormone or stuff in their blood that's always elevated if you've got PTSD? So they kind of "inherited" their mother's PTSD? I read something about that somewhere. Sorry, this is a bit vague. There's also this theory that trauma itself can be passed on to the next generation. In my country (I'm in Central Europe), there's now more discussion about what the second world war did to our parents (who were just children at the time). And many people say that they have reactions or nightmares that are absolutely coming out of the blue, and that you can't really explain at all - not until you hear of their parents' stories, and then the parallels are uncanny.

It's understandable that you're afraid of adopting your father's behaviour. It sounds like he's usually feeling really really uncomfortable. And of course it can't be much fun for people around him either. PTSD has been discovered so very recently though. At the time your father was your age, it probably wasn't even known that there is such a thing. So there was no good way for him to fix things. Or so I'm assuming. Maybe I'm wrong and he was in therapy or did other work. If your father belongs to the generation that's now in their 70s, more or less - well, in my country, people of that generation mostly follow a "grin and bear it" philosophy that teaches them to ignore their psychological discomfort and just smother their pain with busy-ness. So they're pretty much all "problem? what problem?" about their trauma. So simply just being aware of the problem at all already puts you at an advantage. And also, there are so many more resources today. Don't lose hope.  :hug:

My mother has road rage too, but she tries to be ladylike about it, which is hilarious. She'll take a deep breath and get an angry face, and you can see she wants to swear and call the other drivers names, but instead she'll blurt out something like: "This - this - this green car! Sugar!!"

Dyess

Just seems like it's a family issue with the nervousness. So that's why I was wondering if it may be a genetic link to all this. Dad was very unhappy, I guess that's why he did what he did. Still hard to imagine though *sigh* and hard to believe. Since I am so much like him I would like to address this nervousness early and live a happier life and for those around me to be happier.
Always enjoy your posts, always interesting. Thanks for responding.
LOL your mom sounds cute. I wish those words would have came out of Dad's mouth. He was a sailor, get my drift?

Anamiame

I don't know.  Looking at my family line, my father had extreme anger issues and my brothers are just like him.  But not me or my two sisters. 

Here's the weird part, my eldest son has what I call "The Wilson Rage."  I've talked with him throughout his life about it and he seems to be much better about it. 

I don't rage.  I can get very angry but once I've said my piece, I'm done. 

My Dad has done a complete 180 in his later years.  He's amazing.  And seriously his rage was exceptionally abusive and permanently damaging. 

So I agree with SCat (and you are right, her posts are wonderful).  There is hope.   :hug:

schrödinger's cat

Trace, depending on where your father's at, the mere fact that you're conscious of this anger problem and that you want to fix it - that might already give you a kind of head start over him.

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.  :hug:

Dyess

He's dead from suicide. I was the one that found him and that was pretty hard to get through. Not sure if you ever get past that. We all expect our parents to die one day, but hopefully you can say your good byes and I love you before they leave....I didn't get that chance.

Sandals

Quote from: schrödinger's cat on April 04, 2015, 09:33:40 PM
Trace, depending on where your father's at, the mere fact that you're conscious of this anger problem and that you want to fix it - that might already give you a kind of head start over him.

I agree with this - you will be the rebel, the one who's aware of what is happening, and the beginning of healing. :hug:

I can't speak to this from a biological perspective, but could it be that whatever has been part of your family system has been repeating over and over, and that this is what has driven the nerves?

Dyess

Thanks Sandals, yes, I don't want to be like that but makes me wonder why his family had these issues. Dad was too proud to get help for it. He lost a lot of friends over it and was very ugly at times to his girlfriend who is very sweet. It was sad to see that happen.

Sandals

Wondering why, birthing curiosity, is a good thing. Is there someone from the family that you can ask those questions to? For me, the thought of doing this is terrifying (lots of reasons behind that), but understanding it can also be incredibly freeing.

Dyess

Oh I'm very curious :) too much so. But no, his family is gone now. Some questions will never be answered, ya know? Just have to deal with what we have in the here and now.

Sandals

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. :hug: Yes, I hear you on questions not answered. My T always tells me that we don't need all the answers to heal. But I still struggle with that concept myself. Love your attitude. :)

Dyess