Struggling with Inner Critic/self image

Started by Alice-In-Wonderland, March 07, 2020, 02:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice-In-Wonderland

I used to think that I had my Inner Critic under control but the past few days I have noticed it rearing its ugly head, telling me I am selfish and self-absorbed triggered by feeling the need for solitude and reflection. Last night I was watching an old mystery movie with friends and I kept thinking "oh that nasty character that everyone hates is just like ME!" even to the point of thinking that maybe their comments about that repulsive, bossy, conceited woman  in the story were actually veiled comments directed at me. I do not actually think that is the case at all, but there is that tiny voice that tries to convince me otherwise.  Then of course there comes the 'maybe that is true' and I start trying to come up with things I have done or said that PROVE that I am not selfish...on and on..

dreamriver

Alice-in-Wonderland.... I'm having the same thing right now; but it's been going on a week. Ugh!

I'm new here, new to Pete Walker's tips about inner/outer critic, but have had a really rough time "internalizing" that advice enough to drown out the voice this week.... Which can be so loud... Echoing opinions/sentiments of my FOO.... And even though logic tells me it can't possibly be true, there's the voice in the back saying "maybe it is....?"

I try to stop listening but the feelings are still there...

Just know you're not alone...

And we'll get back in top of it eventually....

:hug:

Alice-In-Wonderland

Thanks Dreamriver,
There is safety in numbers, so thanks. Maybe we could all get our Inner Critics to just talk to each other! ;D ;D

dreamriver

Quote from: Alice-In-Wonderland on March 09, 2020, 04:55:57 AM
Thanks Dreamriver,
There is safety in numbers, so thanks. Maybe we could all get our Inner Critics to just talk to each other! ;D ;D

Yes! Somebody get a patented invention for this asap...

Hugs  :hug: Hope it's gotten better!