Working with a psychiatrist for the first time

Started by DingDingCrunch, February 17, 2020, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DingDingCrunch

Hi there! Do you have any advice for working with a psychiatrist for the first time?

I have been working with a psychiatrist following a concussion that caused increased mood lability. It seems like I should have been working with one about fifteen years ago! I didn't even know that medicine for anxiety and depression was really possible. I mean, I didn't know what I had was anxiety and depression and PTSD/CPTSD, either.

Since starting with her, I have been on Prazosin and also Abilify. The Prazosin has helped with flashbacks, especially angry ones, immensely, but it and the Abilify have also made me dizzy. The Abilify seems to help me feel happier and less anxious. We tried to switch to Vraylar recently but I reacted so adversely I ended up unable to sleep and just constantly sobbing. It makes me afraid to try new medications again, but it sounds like this is a process of trial and error.

Do you have experience with any of these medications, or, are there any standard antidepressant or mood stabilization medicines that have been particularly effective for you?