New flashbacks of extreme ritual abuse

Started by RA-Survivor, February 25, 2020, 09:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RA-Survivor

Been having nonstop destabilisation of new flashbacks regarding institutional church abuse from early childhood to adulthood. I couldn't cope with all the flashbacks right now. They are so extreme and nonstop for 8 months now and I'm running out of breath. I just saw my T but it was just a 50 mins session and I'm now full loaded with the extreme new flashbacks I felt like collapsing physically and feeling faint. *tears* I don't know what to do now as I couldn't calm down even after hours of trying to relax.

bluepalm

I really feel for you RA-Survivor. I don't know if you already have the help of medication, but I found it helpful when, despairing of being able to calm myself all by myself, I went to my GP and explained my feeling of being tearfully out of control and asked for medication to help to calm me down. I now feel I have a 'floor' under me through which I should not fall as a result of taking anti-depressants and my anti-anxiety medication gives me the comfort of knowing I can always take it and get some relief in my mind and body when breathing and other things are not enough. I don't take this very often but knowing it is there for me is itself calming and comforting. For me, having the support of medication has been wonderful and has enabled me to get to a point of calm where I can work well with my therapist. I hope this may be helpful for you.

RA-Survivor

Quote from: bluepalm on February 25, 2020, 11:45:21 PM
I really feel for you RA-Survivor. I don't know if you already have the help of medication, but I found it helpful when, despairing of being able to calm myself all by myself, I went to my GP and explained my feeling of being tearfully out of control and asked for medication to help to calm me down. I now feel I have a 'floor' under me through which I should not fall as a result of taking anti-depressants and my anti-anxiety medication gives me the comfort of knowing I can always take it and get some relief in my mind and body when breathing and other things are not enough. I don't take this very often but knowing it is there for me is itself calming and comforting. For me, having the support of medication has been wonderful and has enabled me to get to a point of calm where I can work well with my therapist. I hope this may be helpful for you.

Thanks for the helpful input. I believe it's beneficial during this stage, yes. I was avoiding psychiatric meds because I had a bad experience of severe side effects, but you've reminded to give it a try again when I have no other way.

Snowdrop

I'm sorry you're getting so many extreme flashbacks. I was wondering if your T might be able to give some advice about how to cope with them. I also wondered if meds might help to bring you more stability, as Bluepalm suggests.

I hope you have a better day today.