Trouble Sleeping, Resource

Started by Not Alone, March 08, 2020, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Alone

https://www.beautyafterbruises.org/blog/nighttime101

"Getting Some Rest as a Complex Trauma Survivor
  It's no secret that survivors of trauma often have an incredibly difficult time with sleep. Whether that's due to experiencing terrible nightmares, night terrors or sleep paralysis; having a racing mind that won't turn off; only feeling safe to sleep during the daytime; or wrestling with any of the countless complications surrounding bedtime — we know that the time of day most really look forward to can be one that fills many survivors with dread.  We have accumulated, used and witnessed the success of many different tools and strategies over the years - tools that are designed to help trauma survivors not only get to sleep, but do so safely and stay asleep peacefully.
"

Discusses: Routine, Journaling, Internal Parts (DID), Medication.

Like many of you, there are nights where I get very little sleep. This article compassionately addresses possible solutions to the difficulty sleeping that trauma survivors can experience.

For myself, I think I will try to somehow be intentional about putting the Littles to bed (DID) or at least asking and listening to them when I have trouble sleeping. Also, I am anxious about sharing a memory with my T tomorrow. Based on past experience, I can picture a restless night ahead. When I was reading the section on journaling, I pictured drawing a bag with the memory inside, to be opened in the T's office.

Good night! :bigwink:

marta1234

Thank you notalone for the article. I'll have to try some of these techniques, although I feel like I have some other things to deal with first.
I was wondering if for anyone else when you are trying to go to sleep that just closing your eyes and seeing darkness is impossible? Like so scary? I can only go to sleep when I physically can't stay awake much longer.
I was thinking about this because in the article it mentions a lot of imagining, and I don't think I would be able to do that if just closing my eyes seems so frightening.

sanmagic7

thanks, notalone.  i've been having such intrusive thoughts for so long that, like marta, i can't go to bed till i'm falling asleep in front of the tv.  using my mind in ways suggested in the article, well, i'm just not there yet.  i do have a routine, but trying to contain something or journal so as to calm myself just won't work for me yet.  i got anxious just reading a little about it, so i know i need to be doing other work first.  dang, i'm anxious even writing this.

i appreciate you posting this, tho.  i hope it's helpful to others.  hope it's helpful to me sometime in the future, too!   :hug:  :)

Blueberry

Quote from: notalone on March 08, 2020, 07:19:16 PM
For myself, I think I will try to somehow be intentional about putting the Littles to bed (DID) or at least asking and listening to them when I have trouble sleeping.

Thanks for this idea! I tried it out yesterday and my ICs said it's actually my Adult keeping them all awake at night! (I sleep better in the daytime.) How did it work out for you, notalone? I hope your night was better than expected. :hug:

I often fall asleep reading or doing crossword puzzles, like san just different activity.

Not Alone

As much as I'm able, I did check in with the Littles before I tried to sleep. Not sure if it helped, but it is something I'd like to keep trying to do. Many months ago, I would read to the Littles. Maybe I will try to do that again, although not right before bedtime due to my husband being in the room.

Last night when I laid down, I realized that my eyes were wide open---maybe "what is coming?" Not sure, but I realize that is very common for me. Something to be aware of and T1 would say to be curious about.

I didn't have a nightmare last night, but in my dream I saw my grandmother. It was so real, it was like she was there. Based on the article, I scribbled a note to remember. I don't know what it meant. I will be curious.  :bigwink:

Phoebes

Thank you for this article, notalone! I posted about my insomnia before I saw this..