CLOSED** Petition to Include Complex PTSD in the APA DSM-V**CLOSED

• 20 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please note we reached 300 signatures (from 15 countries) so the petition is now closed.   Thank you so much to all who signed!!   :grouphug:

Update 23 May 2020 - I sent the petition off to the APA and regrettably got little to no response other than what was basically an auto-reply outlining the process they have in place to make changes to the DSM.  The process involves submitting a proposal with substantiation which is not something survivors could do.  It will require development by clinicians/researchers with MD in psychiatry/PhD in psychology.

I did email twice asking if the APA would consider taking this on internally but have not had any response.  So, Plan B is to find clinicians/researchers who will take this on.  I am a Co-Chair of the Complex Trauma Special Interest Group and we are meeting next week so I will start there.  I also am seeing a T whose clinic director is the past president of the ISSTD and will ask there if I can't find anyone through ISTSS.

Onward! 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:11:04 PM by Kizzie »

Bach

• View Profile
Re: Please Sign the Petition to Include Complex PTSD in the APA DSM-V
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »
Thank you for doing this, Kizzie.  I'm going to send the link to everyone I know.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »
Tks so much Bach  :thumbup:

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
thank you, kizzie.  done and done! :hug:

Blueberry

• 'Should' is never good for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:32:17 PM »
Fuzzy-headed question: Is it sensible, useful etc for non-North Americans to sign the petition too? afaik there's a different diagnostic manual in use in Europe.

marta1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
Thank you Kizzie for your work and everyone's help, it's done :cheer:

Blueberry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Fuzzy-headed question: Is it sensible, useful etc for non-North Americans to sign the petition too? afaik there's a different diagnostic manual in use in Europe.

My question here is: will signing as a non-North American somehow invalidate the petition slightly? As in: 'great, you've got 1000 signatures but half of them are from Europe so not relevant'.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
The DSM is also used by professionals outside of North America so I would say yes please, do sign the petition  :yes: 

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
Thanks, Kizzie - I signed!

Elphanigh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
Thanks Kizzie for all your hard work!!

Blueberry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:18:15 AM »
 :yeahthat: and also thanks for answering my question AND thanks for the explanation and link about flattening the curve on Coronavirus  :hug:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »
You're welcome BB, I don't want to be alarmist but I do think we need to be realistic about the virus wherever we may live and be prepared and proactive versus reactive and panicky. 

I've been watching the news from Italy and it is not good. Their medical system got hit by a bomb as some of the docs there describe it, a tsunami of severe cases which is taxing their hospitals and medical personnel to the limit. It's why we all need to do our best to flatten the curve where we live so our services are not overwhelmed all at once.

Here are two links to explain the idea of flatten the curve:

https://www.flattenthecurve.com/
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

Please help us all by sending these links to others in your life.  :grouphug:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:18:19 PM by Kizzie »

I like vanilla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 07:28:35 PM »
I tried to sign the petition, but it looks like it costs a minimum of $3.00 USD to do so.

I am recently self-employed. I am now home because anything - and I literally mean anything - that I would normally do for my businesses is shut down for social distancing. I therefore currently have 0 income and 0 probability of getting income in the near future, combined with a near 100% probability that things will stay shut down during my busy season (April - June).

I do not have $3.00 USD to pay to sign a petition, no matter how much I believe in the cause, nor do I have whatever it would be to convert the $3.00 USD into my currency (definitely more than $3.00) , plus the added fees that I am certain would be charged to do so (I have no paypal account so am just guessing here about the fees).

So, I would very much like to sign the petition but I cannot afford to do so at this time. Sorry.

saylor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:09 PM »
Hi vanilla,
They’re trying to make it look like you have to donate when you sign, but you don’t actually have to pay in order for your signature (and message, if applicable) to show up

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »
Tks for pointing this out I Like Vanilla, I hadn't realized that was happening. The funds don't come to me, they go to iPetition - that's how they make their money for providing the service for 'free'.

Anyway, I've gone in and added a line at the top of the petition saying there is no need to donate any money.   :thumbup: