The Coronavirus Pandemic

Started by Kizzie, March 12, 2020, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

As you may or may not know, yesterday the World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus a pandemic.  What this means is that it is expected to spread worldwide and that it is not a question of if it will spread, but how fast and how much.

In Italy and Iran medical services are taxed to the limit because the virus hit all at once and there simply are not enough resources to deal with so many cases.  Italian doctors have let the international community know the best thing we can do in other countries is to slow the spread of the virus, to "flatten the curve" of when and how many people need health care. 

Health organizations are now beginning to encourage us to prepare as much as we can and do what we can to slow down the spread or flatten the curve where we live (and we can!). Here are two articles about this:

https://www.flattenthecurve.com/
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

My H and I are planning on stepping back from going out as much as possible because we are in our 60s and I don't have the strongest immune system. Yesterday we bought extra supplies for 2 wks to a month so we could stay at home and not go out.  We did NOT strip the shelves as others have done already (can't buy toilet paper or water here already even though we don't have many cases), we only bought what we thought we would need.

If we engage in panic buying and clear the shelves it will mean some people will not have what they need and will have to go out which will only spread the virus in the long run.  We really need to work together.  :yes:

So please read up and prepare, but do so wisely and calmly and think of others and what they may need.

Boatsetsailrose

Thanks kizzie
The UK supermarkets are finally limiting peoples shopping habits (now the shelves are empty...
On a personal level isolating is going to be a bigger challenge than I find it already with relational trust issues and now cfs and fibro I am limited...
I just need to keep looking at the ways I can connect and that this is another deepening opportunity to practice self compassion and the relationship with self... Hurts though not to have close people

Kizzie

So difficult having medical issues on top of everything else Boats :grouphug:  Coming here is one way of connecting so keep on posting  :yes: 

I thought maybe we could start using this thread to help one another with suggestions, info, support during the pandemic. CPTSD is an extra layer of trauma to deal with but there are things we can do/not do like using the time to work on self-compassion as you suggest Boats  :thumbup:

One thing I'm finding I've had to do now that we're as prepared as we can be, is step away from all the reporting on COVID and just watch updates. In Canada both our federal and provincial govts give a daily update on what's happening, what's planned, etc. You get the latest without being saturated by all the other news/stories.

I've also started looking for positive/interesting stories online to balance out the really difficult things we're all facing because it all gets to be too much, especially when we're all shut in and suffer from CPTSD. I'll post some links here and if anyone else knows of any please add to the list. 

Toward that end I found that people are starting Facebook/Instagram pages for their city/town so Boats you might want to see if there's one for where you are.  All kinds of "caremongering" (vs scaremongering) going on on the one for where we are and it's so reassuring, uplifting.

Kizzie

More than anything we can talk here about we are feeling. We all know not talking about feelings and stuffing them down is not the healthiest thing anyone can do.

I keep seeing people on twitter saying things like "Don't be scared, be prepared" so I keep tweeting that's it's OK and absolutely normal to be scared (and that we need to talk about it), but also we need to be prepared. 

I saw where the President of Norway held a news conference to answer childrens' questions  - no adults allowed, it was addressed just to children.  I say bravo for talking about it.   :thumbup:

Bach

I have to avoid television networks entirely because it feels to me like they are reporting on everything in as scary a way as they can.  Even the change to calling it "Covid-19" instead of Coronavirus feels to me like a hype move, because "Coronavirus" is more-or-less a descriptive term for what it is, while "Covid-19" sounds like something from a Hollywood disaster movie.  The sensationalism of the media is a double whammy for me because it makes me angry, and being angry makes me afraid. 

My email inbox is a nightmare because every single mailing list I've ever been on for anything is sending out emails about it no matter how ridiculously irrelevant it is to whatever their business is and how far they have to stretch to insert themselves into the dialogue.  Even a so-called mental health community that I belong to sent me a pile of emails and surveys about it.  I'm also trying to stay off Facebook, but that's harder because while seeing what people are saying about it is scary, somehow, not seeing it is also scary.

I want to check in with my people every day, and tell them I love them, but I don't want to be a pest and I'm always afraid to tell people I love them.

Blueberry

Watching animals is calming for me.  Here's a link of a senior beaver having a cuddle with a person - scroll to end https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/science-north-senior-wildlife-1.3858453

Yesterday there were two pigeons strutting around our garden/yard doing courtship, splaying their tails etc. I've never seen that before and I took the time to watch.

I haven't written in my paper Journal for about a month, but just an hour ago I started writing in it again. I notice I do have a lot of resilience now. I also note a change in me just within the past few days. Maybe I'll write more about that in my Journal here on OOTS, this thread is probably not the place for it, even if some of what I'm experiencing may be uplifting.

There are examples of help being reported and that's making me feel more upbeat. Just to think somebody is doing whatever to help their neighbours and themselves feel better.  https://www.today.com/health/trainer-leads-neighbors-group-workout-during-coronavirus-lockdown-t176027    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/solidarity-balcony-singing-spreads-across-italy-during-lockdown  In my town on Sunday evening there is to be balcony singing too "Ode to Joy", though in the original German. It's very well-known here. I don't have a balcony but I can just open my window instead.

Bach, my feeling is things are changing rapidly, people are realising the seriousness of all this and wouldn't think anything bad about being told they are loved. I can understand your fear though. I used to be frightened of even letting people realise I liked them or wanted to spend a bit of time with them in case it wasn't reciprocal and they were just allowing it but laughing up their sleeves at me because that's how some FOO mbrs acted and/or flying monkeys told me FOO mbrs had acted. If your people aren't emotionally abusive, then your reaching out will probably be really appreciated. But do take care of yourself above all.  :hug:

Three Roses

QuoteEven the change to calling it "Covid-19" instead of Coronavirus feels to me like a hype move, because "Coronavirus" is more-or-less a descriptive term for what it is, while "Covid-19" sounds like something from a Hollywood disaster movie.

In an effort to relieve some of your anger and anxiety, I'd like to give you some info.

Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

There are seven coronaviruses that can infect people. SARS-CoV-2 is the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or Covid-19. The World Health Organization, WHO, announced "COVID-19" as the name of this new disease on 11 February 2020, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

Kizzie

:hug:  Bach, I've stepped away from the majority of news - just get the daily updates now because its way too much otherwise.  We are also getting emails from everyone under the sun although fortunately most of them go to my H's account.  He forwards ones he thinks might be of interest or informative and I do appreciate those. 

For example, the ones from our grocery stores to let us know what measures they are taking to protect the food, customers and staff are great. What my phone company, cable provider, etc., are doing is of no interest because I can do what I need to online.  I I guess they feel they have to be seen as doing something, bad PR not to  :snort: 

BB, I love watching those videos of people singing/playing music from their balconies too - unfortunately we'd freeze to death if we did that here in most of Canada as it's still very much winter here  ;D  Can't wait until it warms up and we can go out in the yard, listen to the birds once they're back and see things growing/blooming.  For now we go for drives as we live quite near the Rockies and the views are spectacular. We're finding places to take pictures across four seasons as a way of entertaining ourselves.  We saw two coyotes yesterday  :thumbup:

I'm personally having difficulty sleeping right now, not triggered so much as really anxious about what's to come.  I'm hearing this will go on much longer than originally forecast and wonder what that will mean for all of us. The most recent thing I read suggests we will have to practice social distancing/isolation until we get a vaccine (up to 18 months but hopefully sooner), which is hard to wrap one's head around.

Be safe everyone  :grouphug:

Bach

Thank you for that information, Three Roses, and for the hugs and links and solidarity, Kizzie and Blueberry.  I'm really thankful for this community. 

I really need to work harder on not triggering myself.

Not Alone

Quote from: Bach on March 20, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
I really need to work harder on not triggering myself.
Would it help to reword the question? "Will _______________(watching the news, looking at facebook, etc) be a way of showing kindness to myself?"

Three Roses

Kizzie - I vividly remember the polio scare in the 1950s. Our family avoided social situations and even family gatherings. We got thru that, we'll get thru this too.  :hug:

Kizzie

Weird that I don't remember the outbreak, maybe because I was born in 1956, but I do remember the March of Dimes campaign. 

Three Roses

I was born in 1956. I also remember walking in a crowd of people into a local school to get our vaccinations, which were new.

Blueberry

Quote from: Three Roses on March 20, 2020, 07:45:09 PM
I vividly remember the polio scare in the 1950s. Our family avoided social situations and even family gatherings. We got thru that, we'll get thru this too.  :hug:

Thanks for this upbeat message!

There were times yesterday when disbelief went through my head. This can't be real. But it is. How the pandemic is effecting me atm - from said disbelief to gathering all my resources and methods of resilience to giving me a spurt of motivation and will to get through this - that all reminds me of the two times I was retraumatised in the company of FOO. The first time I then totally dissociated for several weeks but came out of that asking "Did that all happen or was it a dream?" Before the dissociation though I was gathering all my resources and methods of resilience in an effort not to go under. The second time I didn't dissociate - the resource-gathering was successful.

As some mbrs have mentioned including you 3R, I think, some of the situation now might be easier for some of us because we're used to living rather socially-withdrawn. There may be other ways too though. Most if not all of us (I'd say 'all') are used to crises commonly-known as EFs + lack of help, inability to find a T or doc who has a clue etc etc. I think that may make some of us (possibly depending upon stage of recovery) more resilient in times of covid19 than we believe even ourselves and more than lots of non-cptsd-ers. At least some of the time. Maybe. Remind me of this when I write about next personal crisis here.  :disappear:

Kizzie

Ah yes, I do remember getting my polio shot and being none too pleased TR.  I didn't like any of the shots mind you, but am so glad (now) I did get them all.  On this topic, I can't help wondering if this pandemic will result in strengthening laws about being vaccinated.  COVID-19 is as contagious as the measles (for which there has been a 300 % rise in cases - https://www.vox.com/2019/1/29/18201982/measles-outbreak-virus-vaccine-symptoms).  If any govt was hesitating before I don't think they will now. I hope too that more funding will become available around the world for vaccination programs, if nothing else a pandemic shows us we must care for one another as a global community.   

QuoteI think, some of the situation now might be easier for some of us because we're used to living rather socially-withdrawn. There may be other ways too though. Most if not all of us (I'd say 'all') are used to crises commonly-known as EFs + lack of help, inability to find a T or doc who has a clue etc etc. I think that may make some of us (possibly depending upon stage of recovery) more resilient in times of covid19 than we believe even ourselves and more than lots of non-cptsd-ers. At least some of the time. Maybe.

Just talking about this yesterday and think similarly BB.  Sadly we are primed to handle threat, fear, emergencies, isolation  ... .  I can only imagine what it will be like for extroverts who thrive on social contact.  I'm seeing some creative ways of connecting in safe ways online -  https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/connecting-digitally-through-song-and-dance-amid-covid-19-concerns-1.4858333.  When people are dancing on their balconies in Canada right now where it's still very much winter in most places, you know they're getting desperate ;D   

I also think as trauma survivors in recovery we're keenly aware of how important it is not to pretend we're OK and that we need to talk about how we're feeling as a way of mitigating the effects of trauma.  I've been tweeting about this quite a bit as I think it's something survivors can do to help others who haven't dealt with ongoing trauma like this before.