The issue?

Started by Dyess, April 05, 2015, 07:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

In therapy, is it more important to work on the issue that caused all this, in my case my Dad's suicide? Or, the past issues that this has brought back to life? Could the past issues resolve themselves if the issue of his suicide is addressed? Are you tired of my questions yet?

Sandals

I love the part of you that is questioning and longing for answers. It's such a beautiful attribute, very similar to how we question when we are children.

I think you'll find many paths lead to one road. That as you discuss the different events, you'll see reoccurring themes.

I'm attaching by way of image a worksheet that may help yield some insights.

:hug:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dyess

Thank you...I think :) Are you saying I need to keep my inner child off the keyboard ? ;) This form says Six Steps to Freedom, but only five were on the page. Thank you for the sheet.

Dyess

BTW do you ever sleep? :)

Dyess

Oooops sorry I see they just got cut off :)

Sandals

Ahh, no, please let your inner child be present here :)

I take meds to sleep...And for some reason skipped them tonight. ;)

keepfighting

Quote from: Trace on April 05, 2015, 07:42:13 AM
In therapy, is it more important to work on the issue that caused all this, in my case my Dad's suicide? Or, the past issues that this has brought back to life? Could the past issues resolve themselves if the issue of his suicide is addressed? Are you tired of my questions yet?

It's okay to let different issues co exist in recovery.

That's the extent of my insights so far, so it's probably not much use to you.  :bigwink:

Dyess

But I want to get the main one fixed first and see if this will go away quicker :) I guess I still can't wrap my head around one incident, or event, causing so many problems , when I have been through so much and have gotten through it on my own. It's like having this huge piece of string (walk away from the string Cat) and can't find an end to it *sigh*

Dyess

Do you ever really have past issues under control? I mean you can deal with them and put them away and feel like you dealt with them in a healthy way...then they pop back up again. Does this mean they were not dealt with like I thought they were?

Anamiame

I have that same question and it frustrates me.  It's said to be like layers of an onion.  You dealt with the issue; but now it's time to peel off another layer. 

I hate onions.

I hate layers.

schrödinger's cat

Quote from: Trace on April 06, 2015, 04:21:38 AM
Do you ever really have past issues under control? I mean you can deal with them and put them away and feel like you dealt with them in a healthy way...then they pop back up again. Does this mean they were not dealt with like I thought they were?

It sometimes looks to me like we're spiralling our way up into the light. It's not a straight line, and you keep on revisiting the same bloody issues over and over again, which can be disheartening. And sometimes things get worse, or you forget something you thought you'd learned. But generally, things move upwards. Slooooowly. But they move.

Sometimes I only notice that things have begun to move when I read my journal entries from five or so years ago.