Hello

Started by Froggie, March 27, 2020, 07:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggie

Hello, OOTS. I've been reading posts here for a little while and wanted to say hi.  :heythere:

This past year has been intense. I began to learn I have Relational Trauma when everything in my life sort of fell apart and I finally had time and space to figure it out. After being bullied at work for years I lost my job, started a new career, moved to a new city, got a serious injury that is taking nearly a year to heal, and several other illnesses which required rest and healing. Over some time I noticed that every month with my cycle I would get flashbacks and nightmares and uncontrollable mood swings and I finally tried to investigate it online.

I found out there's apparently a connection between PMDD and PTSD, and the more I read about it I learned that complex PTSD is something I've had all along and never knew it. I also believe I have DID for many other symptoms I've always had. I'm still researching.

I have not been officially diagnosed, but feel it's a pretty sure bet I have relational trauma response. I'm not sure how much I should say about my past traumas. Basically I have had a large variety; I can relate to the topics in most of the child boards in both Childhood and Adulthood boards. I've also endured several near death experiences, from illnesses to very large/intense natural disasters (yep, more than 1!).

As for professional help, I am living in a foreign country with my husband where we don't speak the language, so it's been challenging to find help at the moment. There are English-speaking-charlatans posing as therapists here, and I had the displeasure of seeing one. My husband says the experience made me feel extremely worse than before, but I don't remember, my memories are blank from that time. It's made me afraid to look for another therapist. But I know I should. I have only seen professional help one other time, about a year ago. It was a good experience, but it was focused only on getting laid off from my job unfairly. She was so supportive and completely on my side, which really helped me through losing my job. But she doesn't specialize in childhood trauma. I hope to take another chance for help at some point, but I don't know financially how to do that yet.

What I'm currently doing to work on healing is basically everything I can find on my own - my favorites are listening to podcasts about CPTSD, reading books, workbooks, sites like this one, exercising, meditating and picking up hobbies I've neglected for years. I've also begun to write about everything I can remember, every major event/trauma that I hadn't been able to process before. I've been feeling compelled to share with others, and I'm thinking of making a blog just in case it could be helpful for anyone else who has experienced any similar things. That makes it sound like I do a lot, but truthfully I can usually only manage one or two of these things per day so far. But it has been helpful because I've begun to see small glimpses of my healthy self again for the first time in many years.

Also, I'm trying to push myself to actually post online for a change. Years ago I was really social, online and offline, but I have become shy and a lurker since my several-year-run of toxic jobs and bullies, and sadly realizing that most of my "friends" were "fair-weather" and/or "frenemies". Also, who knew social anxiety could affect posting online as well as in-person interactions?!

Anyway, thanks for reading. :)

TL;DR
Hello. I'm new. I have recently learned I may have CPTSD and DID. I wanted to find a place where I can come out of my shell a little bit, and hopefully understand and be understood. I also want to continue to learn how to heal while living abroad and feeling isolated (especially now with Covid-19 quarantines.)

marta1234

Hi, Froggie, and welcome to the forum. :)
I read what you wrote and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hear you. Living in a foreign country and not being able to understand the language is very difficult, and so I hear your struggles. Especially for finding an english speaking therapist. For the therapists, I would say maybe trying to find one is ok, but be on the look out, because sometimes they just don't fit.
In any case, I hear you, and sending a hug if that's ok  :hug: .

Snowdrop

Hi Froggie! :wave:

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you find this a place of comfort and companionship.

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum, Froggie  :heythere:

Three Roses

Hello and welcome!  :heythere:

Not Alone

Froggie

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome. :D

Boatsetsailrose

Hi froggy welcome... This forum has been and continues to be a huge support for me. Glad u are here and wishing u all the best on the next phase of your recovery

Marian82

Welcome!

Also, thanks for writing about pmdd! I have major symptoms in the days before my period. Delusions even. Some psychiatrists recognize it, some deny even pms exists. I still hope to find something that helps with it.

Take care!

brightlight

:heythere:

Welcome to the forum  :wave:

Froggie

Hi all! I'm really glad to have found this forum, even if I shy away from posting much at first. It somehow helps to know that I could. I will try to help and lend a shoulder where I can as well.

Quote from: marta1234 on March 27, 2020, 08:38:29 AM
For the therapists, I would say maybe trying to find one is ok, but be on the look out, because sometimes they just don't fit.
Thank you, Marta1234. It is good to know I'm not the only one whose had to search to find the right therapist. The whole thing is really new to me. I was raised by parents who were outright hostile to anything related to psychology/therapy. And my entire family is REALLY messed up, but I'm the only one who tries to do anything about it, so far.

Quote from: Marian82 on April 01, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
Also, thanks for writing about pmdd! I have major symptoms in the days before my period. Delusions even. Some psychiatrists recognize it, some deny even pms exists. I still hope to find something that helps with it.
You and me both. Having 1 week every month of your life in pure triggered awfulness is too much! I already have to watch being triggered at all times, but especially then. I hope there will be more research on the link between the two soon so that we can get some help! 

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Froggie! :heythere:

You know I've not read about trauma and PMDD, which isn't surprising given it's a female issue, but I can well image it's an issue. There is quite a bit of research data showing the impact the toxic chemicals and hormones flooding our systems over time leading to chronic inflammation, autoimmune disease, etc.  So it would not come as a surprise if women with CPTSD do tend to suffer from PMDD.

Have you ever considered trying virtual therapy so you can find a T outside of where you're living?   I've found it quite helpful so it might be an option to look into.  :Idunno:

Note - Premenstrual dysphoric disorder is a health problem that is similar to premenstrual syndrome (PMS) but is more serious. PMDD causes severe irritability, depression, or anxiety in the week or two before menstruation starts.

Froggie

Hi Kizzy, thank you! Yes, I am interested in virtual therapy. It seems a bit daunting trying to figure out where to look. I've seen some ads for Better Help. Should I give them a try? Or do you, or anyone here, have recommendations for where I might begin to search?