Effects of involuntary change in generic brand of SSRI antidepressant

Started by bluepalm, September 17, 2020, 08:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepalm

For over a year now, my local chemist has dispensed a particular generic brand of Fluoxetine antidepressant when I filled my GP's prescription. When originally asked if I would accept a generic brand  of fluoxetine, I did not hesitate, assuming that the active ingredient would be identical to that in the original brand, Prozac. I tolerated this particular generic brand well and over some weeks I experienced a growing sense of emotional stability and ceased the constant crying, suicidal ideation, bursts of anger, acute startle reflexes, rumination and other symptoms of deep depression which had overtaken me, yet again, when  I decided, with the chemist's advice to help me, to slowly cease taking my previous anti-depressants (Lexapro) altogether - thinking I was well enough to manage without. 

What I learnt from that experience is that I cannot risk being without the help of antidepressants because, despite living a secure and undemanding retirement life, physically and emotionally removed from my abusers, without the help of antidepressants my body reverts to the state in which i lived for most of my life - struggling with deep depression. The involuntariness of the constant crying amazes me - the grief feels overwhelming, paralysing and absolutely out of my control.

Two weeks ago I was unexpectedly dispensed another generic brand of fluoxetine. The chemist said my previous generic brand of fluoxetine had become unavailable in Australia. I thought nothing of it and assumed the change would be seamless.

How wrong I was. Within a few days I felt my mood lowering dangerously as my mind became lost in rumination, suicidal feelings and despair and the tears started to flow ceaselessly. I returned to my chemist and explained I was feeling nausea and had no appetite and felt my mood lowering. The chemist advised taking ginger for the nausea. Within two more days I was becoming frightened of my fixation on thoughts of self-destruction and went back to the chemist and explained I felt the drug was not working and I was becoming in danger. The chemist said my original brand was still not available and did I want to try another generic brand or persist with the current one. I decided to persist but made an appointment with my GP to ask for his help. However, I returned to the chemist the very next day frightened, unable to stop crying, and pleaded with them to help me. It turned out that they had just been restocked with my original generic brand  - apparently the packaging was being redesigned - so they dispensed those and I have now taken nine days of my original generic brand.

Two days ago, in the middle of the day, I suddenly became aware that I'd crossed a threshold, that I'd surfaced, that I had regained my footing in the present day world and could pay more attention to 'now' without being dragged back into recriminations and ruminations and unending grief. I'm still not back to where I was three weeks ago but I feel confident that I'm getting better.

I'm sharing this experience because I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience when changing between generic brands of fluoxetine or any other antidepressants. I've lost confidence in generic brands now and will talk to the my GP tomorrow about whether it would be better to take the original brand, Prozac, assuming that it is reliably available in this country.
Thank you for reading.
Bluepalm