Dr visit as a child - TW SA DV

Started by brightlight, April 11, 2020, 10:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightlight

I used to get a lot of pain in my genitals when I was very young.

This always happened at night and the pain started when my mum left my dad overnight with my brother due to DV. I would wake up screaming in agonising pain. The worse pain you could ever feel in your life. It just went on and on, nothing would get rid of the pain.

I remember my gran and mum talking among themselves saying things like 'what has he done to her' I heard my mum saying 'Stay out of her room' when he kept going in at night. My mum took me to the doctors and I remember her saying to my dad 'I'm taking her to the doctors' before we went.

Before going to the doctors she took me to the chemist about different red rashes I had on my 'trunk', legs, thighs. They couldn't help. I remember the chemist saying 'I've never seen anything like it before' I think my mum was worried the doctor would find out something was going on and I'd be removed from her. 

At the doctors, I said to my mum 'Mummy will we tell the doctor it gets sore at night' I clearly remember her telling me 'Let me do the talking' As I was 5/6 I did as my mum told me. My mum just said I'm sensitive with soaps. The doctor took an outer swab which was sore and she really dug the swab stick into my skin as she dragged. I even said 'Ahhh'

So nothing came of this visit. I got a cream my mum could put on when it was sore which of course did nothing. That's like telling someone who has been raped to put a cream on your skin to soothe the bits inside it won't help with.

Does anyone else think the doctor should have been more attuned or done more to investigate or at least ask me what was wrong?

Three Roses

Yes, the doctor should not have just blindly accepted the explanation your m gave! Even at 5 or 6 you were able to say what had happened, you should have been given the chance to speak alone with someone, whether it be a doctor or social worker. The system failed you - I'm so sorry you had to go through that alone.

brightlight

Thanks TR, its good to have a bit of validation.

I often wonder had I have had intervention early on and help/removed then the further abuse would not have been allowed/able to happen resulting in CPTSD.

I asked for my medical records over ten years ago now and this was not even recorded in my file.