National Association of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (offers Wkly VC Mtgs)

Started by Kizzie, April 13, 2020, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

The National Association of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse

We have a single purpose at NAASCA, to address issues related to childhood abuse and trauma including sexual assault, violent or physical abuse, emotional traumas and neglect .. and we do so with only two goals:

1) educating the public, especially as related to getting society over the taboo of discussing childhood sexual abuse, presenting facts showing child abuse to be a pandemic, worldwide problem that affects everyone

2) offering hope and healing through numerous paths, providing many services to adult survivors of child abuse and information for anyone interested in the many issues involving prevention, intervention and recovery

Offers virtual conferencing meetings via ZOOM 3 days a week

Three Roses

Kizzie

Awesome TR, can you share a bit about what they're like in case other members want to join? 

Three Roses

Sure!  :)

As you said, the meetings are held via Zoom. Free to download. I'm using my android tablet.

The hosts - one man and two women - are warm and friendly, and have decades of recovery. They are supportive and validating. Most of us are female but at the last meeting several men joined who were new to the group, which I found refreshing.

You choose what name appears on the screen, so if you want you can be anonymous. You are in control of your camera and your mic. You do not have to appear on camera or speak to attend the meeting. If you have input but don't want to speak, you can make comments thru the Chat bar. I chose not to speak or appear on camera at first.

It is against their guidelines to record the meetings. If someone is recording, there is an indicator light showing who it is. The person is asked to stop recording. (This happened during the first meeting I attended.) If the person refuses to stop, they are excluded from the meeting at that point. Knowing I wouldn't be recorded made me feel better about speaking.

The group is just getting started, last meeting there was about 10 people. The hosts are new to Zoom but not new to recovery. It loosely follows a 12 step format and NAASCA's version of the steps are read aloud during the meeting. Many of the attendees are very new to recovery from childhood abuse and some were not aware of the difference between ptsd, or simple ptsd, and complex ptsd. Everyone is given the opportunity to "share" but no one is forced, or even strongly encouraged. You will be addressed by your screen name when the host asks if you want to say anything. The hosts just want to make sure no one gets left out.

If you're planning on attending and new to webcam meetings like this, it might be a good idea to acquaint yourself with some general etiquette. Things like leaving your mic muted so coughing, sneezing, and background noises don't interrupt the one who's speaking.

If anyone has questions let me know. :yes:

saylor

I have started listening to the podcasts. May eventually choose to start going live and sharing.

I will say, the mods do a great job, and it seems to be a good group of ppl who join in.

I wanted to give one trigger warning, though, since I know some folks with CPTSD have experienced abuse in a religious context: 
Although they welcome ppl of all faiths or lack of faith, and they seem to really mean it, there are occasional references made to God/faith. Also, at least one meeting ended with the Serenity Prayer, led by one of the mods... This really caught me by surprise...

I figured I should mention, in case this could be an issue for anyone. They really do embrace all ppl, though, so don't feel like you'd have to participate in parts of the meeting that may not resonate

Three Roses

Yes, it's loosely based on 12 step groups and higher powers are mentioned. Each meeting ends with the serenity prayer. But there are multiple faiths represented and no one talks about religion, or I should say, hasn't so far (except to mention what denomination they'd experienced abuse within). And I believe discussion of religious themes would be discouraged.

I will also say, one person shared pretty openly and gave no trigger warning in advance. But, she was a first time attendee.

Larry

thank you for posting this,  i went to the website,  just wanted to know what it costs to attend the zoom thing. 

Kizzie

I don't think it costs anything Larry and as far as I know Three Roses (who hasn't been here since Jan) is now a Moderator. She's very friendly so if it's the case she's moderating it might be a good option for you to try.

Larry

Kizzie