Article about Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises

Started by New_Life, April 15, 2020, 12:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New_Life

Hello fellow Survivors,

I stumbled upon this medical article analyzing the TRE technique: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/tension-and-trauma-releasing-exercises-tre/

The writer makes a definite case against it, but, since its something that is of interest to us, I was thinking that it may be a good topic for discussion. Now, I personally, have not studied a lot about this, is there someone who tried it? Any thoughts?

Sending love and healing vibes!
❤️ :hug:

Gromit

I first heard about TRE last year and did find a YouTube video with some of the exercises, not easy as the whole system seems very protected, you must only learn from a trained instructor who must be a member of a specific organisation and the practices must not be shared as they could be dangerous in the wrong hands etc etc.

So, I tried the exercises, then lay down and did get a tremor in my legs but not the amazing, releasing, healing etc. What I did experience was extra tightness in my muscles afterwards. Any muscle contracted more than normal would shake afterwards. I tend to tense and body armour, brace myself anyway, so, I thought about it and decided that tensing my muscles further in this way probably wasn't a great idea. I had more fun when I tried Aerial yoga and that also made my muscles work in ways they weren't used to.

Obviously, if I had gone all the way to the nearest trained TRE practitioner I might have had a more impressive result.

I do long for an amazing release. It just doesn't seem to happen, even though I practice yoga and have tried Yin Yoga which is supposed to have similar releasing effects.

As for pseudo science, anything which claims to have the answer for everything is to be viewed with scepticism in my opinion, even though I have had some positive effects from other pseudo sciences like psychotherapy.
G

Alter-eg0

I'm currently in training to be a TRE provider. I've had some really good results myself.

Reading the books and watching the video's, then trying the exercises, is a great place to start.
For those of us who already know that we have trauma-stuff going on, I would really advise to go and see a provider at least once. It really does add an extra layer to it.
It's not just about the exercises, but also about learning to regulate yourself along the way. It's great to have someone be your mirror and safe guide through that. :)