I'm New Here

Started by Trc9Hu, April 26, 2020, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trc9Hu

Hello,
I'm new here and am not sure what to write. Very scared, and also so happy to be here where someone gets me.
     I'm a middle age adult who has had CPTSD since childhood, but was diagnosed 6 months ago after what I learned the proper name for it was a trigger. I didn't know what was happening although I had had these same responses all of my life. This was just the one that landed me in the right doctors office who had experience with this. Finally my life made sense in learning about the diagnoses.
     I grew up in a home where both parents were, and still are narcissists. The abuse I suffered was physical,  mental, emotional,  spiritual. Not sure what else to say there.
     The only thing I have done since then to get help is read what I can on the subject and I can't find many books out there so far. I look so forward to getting understanding about this so I can begin healing. It's been a long time coming.

saylor

Hi Trc9Hu,
I'm glad you joined us.
Some of the books I've gotten a lot out of are:

The Body Keeps the Score
Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors

Like you, I didn't have a name for what I had been dealing with until middle age. Now everything makes so much sense

Three Roses

Welcome! In addition to the excellent books saylor has recommended, there is a section on this site containing many titles. If purchased thru this site, our community gets a portion of the proceeds (to support things like website maintenance, etc). Here's a link - https://www.outofthestorm.website/books-1/

Like you, I didn't know about cptsd until later in life. Since coming here I've found so much help, validation and understanding from others. I'm sure you'll find the same!
:heythere:

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome Trc9Hu!  :heythere:   

I'm the grown child of parents with NPD. You are in good company as there are quite a few of us here who developed CPTSD as a result of N abuse. 

We also have a sister site Out of the FOG which has a lot of good info, resources and a forum for those abused/neglected by people with a personality disorder - https://outofthefog.website/

woodsgnome

:heythere: We were all new here, and terrified or just confused about how to share what was so deeply hurtful for so many years we'd lost hope of finding anything resembling finding peace about the inner (and outer) shocks to the system we endured. And -- the best part -- survived. Even if it doesn't feel so great, in the end survival  was key.

Knowing that, we find ourself challenged to move to another level with what we reluctantly already know. So we come here, and find -- surprise! -- there are others who at least understand where we're coming from.

Again -- Welcome.

personal PS -- books that have impact can be quite individual in their effect, but one I've found useful is simply titled RECOVERY ... by Carolyn Spring. It's very recent but it speaks directly from a survivor herself. All the contradictions but also revelations are covered rather well. Sometimes self-help tomes promise more than they deliver. This isn't one of those.

Snowdrop

Welcome, Trc9Hu! :wave: I hope being here helps you heal.