Investing Globally in Mental Health: The Return on the Individual Report

Started by Kizzie, May 05, 2020, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Return on the Individual from Speak Your Mind which sponsored "a global campaign of civil society campaigners for better mental health across 20 countries, have worked together with global experts to explore the wider case for investing in mental health in their new report: The Return on the Individual. The report shows how investing in mental health creates a ripple of positive effects that include, but go beyond the financial, to the individual and the social."

The report puts the individual at the centre of the case to dramatically increase investment in mental health and highlights the benefits that can't easily be quantified in monetary terms. Investing in good mental health brings a huge return: it includes the financial return - it is well established that for every US$1 invested, US$4 are returned.  On top of this, improvement in mental health and wellbeing has its own value - it brings a return in itself for the individual that far exceeds any return that we can count in financial terms.

sanmagic7

may i add - not only for the individual, but that person's family and friends, acquaintances and colleagues, business and society. 

mental health issues are barely being recognized now for their impact on society, community, and culture.  when i was young, the idea of seeing a mental health professional was unheard of.  people were very often shuffled off to institutions and forgotten, denied, or ignored.  even 20 yrs. ago, trying to get adequate care for my D1 was frustrating beyond belief. insurance paid for 10 days in-patient per year. their main job was to stabilize and release, with no help for the family in how to rectify the situation at home.

i just read an article which talked about how covid-19 is bringing mental illness into the forefront, especially anxiety and depression, which in turn is lessening the stigmas of such situations. the idea that in the 21st century we continue to be looked at and made to feel stigmatized thru no fault of our own boils my blood. 

having these reports come out, while positive, is so long overdue it hurts my heart.  once again, it has to be put in financial terms for people to sit up and possibly take notice.  sorry if i'm down about this.  i've been advocating for mental health issues to be taken seriously for decades and in 2 different countries.  in mexico, where it was difficult to get anti-deps on a regular basis, it took a letter, outlining the risks involved of not getting meds to people in time, along with clinical references sent to the director of 2 clinics that served the people in the town where i lived, along with threats of litigation for liability if people suicided because their meds were cut off before the situation was rectified.

i'm so sick of the bureaucratic b.s. about mental health, i can barely stand it.  money, as always, talks, and it's the only thing really listened to.  i just heard someone on the news last nite say - if you're white and rich, you'll be ok.  it not, too bad.  once again, i'm reminded that i can only do what i can do to make my little part of the world a good, kind, and caring place in which to live.   

if this is inappropriate, please feel free to delete.

Kizzie

Not inappropriate at all San, it's your opinion and one I personally agree with.  :thumbup: 

What I do like about this initiative is that it is a global collaboration of advocates for better health care around the world vs just another government/bureaucratic report. 

I also like that the report makes the case about why "investing in good mental health brings a huge return"  That is, "it is well established that for every US$1 invested, US$4 are returned."   You're so right that money talks so laying out the return on investment in terms of $$$ seems the best argument for funders and policy makers, while also raising awareness about the returns to the individual, community, employers, etc. 

sanmagic7

got it, kizzie.  of course, i'm happy for anything that advances the cause of mental health and the well-being of people.  the caring people get it.  it's the bureaucrats who don't move unless they're threatened financially, and i've had to do that on several occasions before i got the results i needed, (of course, i couldn't really afford a lawyer, so it was kind of an idle threat, but they knew the truth, which is why they suddenly moved.  lol!) so this kind of stuff raises my ire before i can even be rational.

even with the economy going bust, it's the idea that if we don't have healthy people, we don't have anyone to run the economy.  people need to be healthy in both body and mind to be productive.  for some reason that is too abstract for some people to understand.  let's hope that this global financial realization will turn some heads, and get something positive done.  it seems that mass shootings haven't had an impact, so hopefully, this will.  i'd love to see this continue, build steam, and produce practical results.  wouldn't that be wonderful!  :thumbup:

by the by, kizzie, congrats on reaching your goal of 300 signatures, and for continuing your advocacy on our behalf.  much appreciated.  :hug: