Struggling in self isolation [Alcohol]

Started by Panda, May 13, 2020, 07:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panda

I think I'm not the only one currently struggling with the temptation. Looking at my social media timelines at least, it seems like everyone's coping mechanisms are either repeatedly dyeing/shaving their hair, Animal Crossing, baking... or drinking.

I won't lie, I've jumped on the Animal Crossing train too and those clippers look more and more tempting... ;)

No, but I'll stop making a joke out of this and just say it outright:

I'm really, really struggling not to drink and I've been sober for years at this point. I can't imagine how people that are at an earlier point of recovery must be feeling.
Especially with drinking being so normalized as a coping mechanisms, it's a struggle. How's everyone dealing with that particular problem? Got any advice, need someone to talk to, anything else you'd like to say on that topic?

Remember we're all in this together  :)

Blueberry

Panda, I just want to let you know that I read and I don't know of anything I could say of comfort. I'm struggling with food atm but I struggle with that pretty often. I never got over that.

To state the obvious, it's best not to give in to cravings and give up your sobriety. Having said that, I've given into a few cravings recently and come out the other side. Some coping mechanisms are possibly less harmful than others, depending on your or anyone's history... Yesterday and the day before I was haranguing myself about doing crossword puzzles instead of getting on with something useful and constructive. Today I'm accepting it, even though word puzzles can be a bit addictive too. They don't cause any physical problems though.

Kizzie

Hey Panda, I've had some thoughts of having a drink too so you're definitely not alone.  :no:    I just don't want to chance going through that dark period in my life again as for me drinking became a big  problem on top of my trauma.  It helped me escape the trauma for a bit but then there was that moment when I would wake up and know it (the pain) was all still there and being drunk was only temporary numbing. When I want a drink I try to remember that moment.

I don't attend AA meetings myself but I've heard there are some online groups - would it help you do you think? The other thing I would suggest is to keep on posting here and talking about the things that make you want to take a drink again.  That relieves pressure for me so maybe it will do the same for you.

:grouphug:

Jenny

I've got 5 mos sober. One thing I realized was that if I did drink, the next day I felt the most CRUSHING anxiety, dread and hopelessness! It was like my CPTSD was x 10. That is often what stops me. Just the thought of the next day's emotional torture, it really just isn't worth it anymore. Much love to you! Hang in there!!! Remember that acceptance is the key to your circumstances in the moment. I try really hard to stay in, or pull myself back into the present moment and try to not live in the future or the past. Be KIND to yourself, you have been through a lot and made it this far! We survivors are so much stronger than we often give ourselves credit for! Anything you can do for self care is so valuable  :hug:

Kizzie

SigNature

I don't know how I have happened upon this thread.  I just sincerely, wish you luck in your sobriety.  I also struggle with it in isolation, particularly because I have nothing that entices me into living, despite being an optimistic person......so, when I am sober there is not much to look forward too, except my two pups, but I have this blooming instinct to carry on.  I hope you can find your primal instinct

sigiriuk

Many of us have struggles with drink, or drugs or gambling.
It really does stop the memories and painful feelings, and for many people it is the only coping strategy.
Sometimes, being with someone else to talk to, has stopped me having a drink...like online meetings, but most particularly this forum.
I had a problem with cannabis, but I was lucky, because I saw how crazy it made me.
It is tough at the moment as there are no AA meetings, if that's your inclination. It doesn't do it for me personally, but to each, his own.
But let me know how it's going on the forum?
Slim

Kizzie

Haw are you doing Panda?  Sending a  :grouphug: your way  :)

starkravingsane

Hi Panda. I am really struggling with drinking among a bunch of other CPTSD- and bipolar-related things. If you still want someone to talk to, I could really use someone who understands. I have people who understand the drinking, and people who understand some of the mental health stuff to an extent, but no one who really understands both. So it's hard to reach out for help because I feel like the answers I get aren't usually quite the right fit for me.

Kizzie

Hi starkravingsane - I haven't seen Panda here for a bit so you might not hear back for a bit. 

I just wanted to suggest there are others here who have been or are going through struggles with drinking, myself included, so perhaps start a separate thread and see what others have to say and how they can support you. :grouphug:

Panda

Wowie yeah I haven't been around, apologies.

I hope everyone else who's struggling is doing okay and getting some sort of support. For me, getting used to the way the world is now helped somewhat. I won't lie, it's still tempting but getting used to things and talking to my (supportive angel of a) wife has been very helpful. Like, we don't necessary talk about the temptation to drink, more... our fears and anxieties related to the state of the world.
The big plus is that she's a nurse so while she's not an expert, she can definitely tell me if a worry related to Covid is like, totally out there.

So... I'm dealing. Considering giving meetings of some sort a go, but tbh I've been sober for years so I'd feel like I'd be taking a place from someone who really needs it. Would be nice to talk shop with someone who gets the struggle, though.

starkravingsane

Hey, I know it's been quite some time since this was posted, but I just wanted to respond to this comment--
Quote from: Panda on September 07, 2020, 11:26:51 AM
Considering giving meetings of some sort a go, but tbh I've been sober for years so I'd feel like I'd be taking a place from someone who really needs it. Would be nice to talk shop with someone who gets the struggle, though.

I used to be active in AA for a long time, and now I do a program called Recovery Dharma. I think probably all recovery programs say that you should continue to attend meetings basically for the rest of your life. I know some older people who've got upwards of 50 years of sobriety and still attend regularly and are active participants in the program. These folks are a great help to the newer folks, providing hope and examples of how to achieve lasting recovery. And, as you know, being sober for a length of time does not mean you won't have times that you still struggle and need the support and connection.

Also, everyone is always welcome at meetings and you would not be taking a place for anyone.

If you do see this, there are tons and tons of Zoom recovery meetings now, which are sometimes less stressful to get to than in-person meetings. Some are local and some are global, and it can be really cool to meet with people halfway around the world with whom you can relate deeply. AA has tons, but I feel that Recovery Dharma is a little better for trauma survivors. They are very conscious of trauma reactions, very open and accepting to people of all types, and do not require belief in anything but your capacity to recover.

Panda

starkravingsane, it's been another little bit since your post but thank you so much for adding to the conversation! Your words lessened the feeling of taking resources away from people that need them. I guess as long as there's a chair/spot in a zoom meeting anyone really has a place.

Recovery Dharma sounds super interesting to me, from the quick google I've had, thank you for pointing me that way!