Having a flashback, support?

Started by owl25, May 16, 2020, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owl25

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am in an EF right now. It's been worse lately. I am learning to try to use my breath so I have calmed somewhat, but still there. There is a part of me that is just petrified, I can just feel it under the surface. I woke up this morning and from one moment to the next I felt terror. I can't quite completely calm things down and I'm scared. I started with a new therapist and am fighting the urge to contact him as I don't know if it is ok. I'm scared of feeling this way for the next two days.

marta1234

Hey owl, I am sorry you’re feeling like this. I’ve been there, even if I don’t know exactly what you’re feeling. For me, I just go to sleep and hope that I don’t wake up scared, that the terror has left. Maybe if someone can hold you, if it’s possible for you (I know it sounds daunting, but many here have suggested comfort from a person in real life)?
I haven’t really found anything other than sleep to be useful, all that I know is that the terror is too much for me to rationalize or understand it.

Hope you find something that helps, sending you a hug while you’re going through this :hug:  I also wanted to add that it’s ok to ask for support, this is what the forum (in my opinion) is for. But I understand where you’re coming from, just know that help is here. :)

Not Alone

Owl,
Glad you posted. I have experienced similar feelings and I know how awful and overwhelming it feels. Glad you are aware of your breathing. That's really good. Some other things that sometimes lower the intensity for me: soft blanket, hot cup of coffee & use five senses, look around the room and name five things that are yellow/red/blue/bumpy/smooth/etc., go for a walk if able and be aware of trees, birds, etc., hold stuffed animal, distract with safe T.V. show or movie. One moment at a time.

owl25

marta1234 thanks, asking for support is hard, as this is the one thing that was missing for me as a child, and then as I got older, people I reached out to didn't seem to like that too much. So, it's really been ingrained that asking for support is not okay. I worry about overstepping, as it feels like it messes things up with people. This forum is easier, as I am not putting a burden on anyone in particular.

notalone thank you, I am doing better right now, I expect though that I may wake in another flashback in the morning, as that has been the pattern. It does help to reach out, as the flashback is about there being no one there for me to reach out to.