Recruiting Participants from the US for a Research Study about Trauma & Emotions

• 7 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My name is Shaan McGhie and I am a graduate student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University working on a study that seeks to understand daily fluctuations of emotions in people who have experienced a traumatic event. This study has been approved by the Committee on the Use of Human Subjects at Harvard University.

This study will be completed online over the course of two weeks (a couple minutes a day) and participation is completely voluntary. The study involves answering brief questions (1-2mins) through an app multiple times a day.  All people who complete our study can receive up to $25 for participating, and selected participants who complete more than 90% of the surveys will be entered to win one of three $200 amazon gift cards.

A few important things to know about the study are:

• Participants must live in the United States
  • All information collected will be kept completely confidential.
  • Participation is voluntary. The link we provide will send you to a website that asks some questions to determine whether you are eligible to participate. If you are eligible, we will provide you with a description of the study and you can decide whether or not you want to participate. Also, if you start to participate and decide you no longer feel comfortable or are no longer interested, you can end your participation without any penalty or punishment.
  • This study will include only trauma survivors fluent in English who are 18+ years old and own a smartphone.
  • We will also provide links to treatment and informational resources throughout the study.

To participate, copy and paste the following URL into your browser search bar:

https://tinyurl.com/trauma-emotions

If you are not interested in participating but you know someone who might be, please feel free to forward this information and the link to the study.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at smcghie@g.harvard.edu.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:13:23 PM by Kizzie »

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
Signed up for this.

Bach

• View Profile
I signed up for this.  It annoys me but I'm doing it anyway.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Any research we participate in has the potential to help us down the road so tks TR and Bach  :thumbup: 

RiverRabbit

• C-PTSD... It's complicated...
    • View Profile
I am seriously thinking about doing this...

Bach

• View Profile
River Rabbit, it's not hard to do at all.  You don't have to write anything, just move a slider to rate how you're feeling about a set of things at various times during the day.  The questions are basically the same every time, and they send you a notification when it's time to answer.  I said that it annoys me because I'm not the best at rating my subjective and oft-shifting feelings on a simple quantitative scale, but I like the fact that I am helping people who are interested in helping people like us.  Also, doing a simple observation of my emotional state throughout the day without having to explain anything has been surprisingly helpful to me in navigating some difficult things I've been dealing with in the past few days since I signed up.  I had a very productive therapy session today after a few weeks of feeling frustratingly stalled, and impatient with trying to do therapy on the phone.  I would encourage anyone who is thinking about signing up to go ahead and do it.

RiverRabbit

• C-PTSD... It's complicated...
    • View Profile
Bach,
I went ahead and signed up for it.  first few surveys today were not so bad.

Jazzy

• View Profile
Thanks to those who have signed up!  :thumbup: