Lost Motivation

Started by storyworld, May 31, 2023, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyworld

Hey, all,
Last night my father-in-law of nearly 30 years passed away. He and my mother-in-law have filled the role of parents for me. We knew he's been declining over the past couple years, and there was a part of me that anticipated that he could pass at any moment. But none of us were expecting this. He had been complaining of pain, which we were trying to manage in various ways. And recently, he and my mother-in-law moved, by their choice, into assisted living. While there, his leg began to swell considerably, so they took him to the hospital. The doctors discovered significant cancer. Less than a week later, they put him on hospice, and a few days after that, he passed.

All that to say, my unhealthy side has decided I don't want relationships outside of my husband. This in turn has killed my motivation for therapy as a large motivator previously was to be less of a mess in my relationships. And at the moment, I have 0 interest in emotions, good or bad.

NarcKiddo

I am very sorry for your loss.

You have had a shock and all I can suggest is that you treat yourself gently and don't make any big decisions about anything if you can avoid doing so.

Sending you and your family good wishes and condolences.

Armee

I'm so sorry for your significant loss and the instinct to armor yourself against more pain and grief makes sense right now.  :grouphug:

storyworld

Thank you, NarcKiddo and Armee

Not Alone

Storyworld, I'm sorry for your loss.