Nightmares with false wakings

Started by sarals, May 30, 2020, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarals

I know this has been touched on but I keep having nightmares about things that are, on the surface, unrelated to my Trauma.  Last night, for example, I was under attack by some sort of armed group in the place I work.  What's harder about these dreams is that I wake up uncontrollably upset and being comfort3d by a friend only to realise that that is all a dream, I then wake up shaking and sobbing holding the bed being held by my partner only to find....nope, still a dream.  I then wake up for real completely silently and emotionless as my childhood trauma taught me to be but not being certain of what reality is anymore.  I find hold the bed frame and opening the window to get air on my face helps.
I'm not really expecting anyone to be able to help but I wanted to be able to share knowing that someone reading it understands, and understands the impact it has despite it  being 'just a dream'.
This is my first post, I hope what I've written is acceptable.

Not Alone

That sounds very distressful. Like you said, it isn't "just a dream," what you are going through must be very disturbing.

buddy9832

Hi sarals,

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new hear as well. I'm glad you posted this. What you wrote resonates with me almost to a T.

I find myself having recurring nightmares. The dreams are typically different but they are always the same theme. I'm being hunted. I've had them for many years now but I haven't started addressing them until now. The dreams usually span from being in a war zone and people are trying to kill me to being hunted down by the police. They can be incredibly gory and graphic. The funny thing is though I never find myself scared either during the dreams or when I wake up.

My psychiatrist prescribed me Mini Press to help with the nightmares. It's more or less a very low dose blood pressure medication. I find it helps. For me it doesn't always stop the nightmares but typically I awake not remembering them but knowing I had them.

Again welcome, I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that has these dreams. You are certainly not alone!

Cheers!

sarals

Thank you both.  It's just nice to be able to share with people who understand.

Windflower

Going through very similar nights myself. It is truly awful and utterly exhausting I'm sorry to hear you deal with this too  :hug: