Article about Triggers

Started by Not Alone, May 31, 2020, 01:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Alone

Good article about what happens when we are triggered. Includes information about the brain, etc.

Armed with this new knowledge, I stopped beating myself up when I got triggered. It didn't prevent me from being triggered, but it diverted the backlash afterwards, the tornado of critical thoughts and
accusations that would make a bad situation even worse. And gradually I realised too that this self-blame, this tirade of self-denigration, was in itself triggering – that my own abusiveness, even though it was only ever voiced in my head, also smelled 'smoky' to my amygdala. So I was triggering myself with my own self-hatred – and that in itself had been spinning me time and again into a vicious circle of being triggered and then triggered again by my own disgust at having been triggered.

PART SIX: UNDERSTANDING TRIGGERS
Understanding that being triggered is automatic and not my fault therefore helped me to become kinder towards myself, and by soothing myself and speaking kindly to myself after a triggering incident, I improved my 'recovery time'.

https://www.carolynspring.com/blog/managing-triggers-part-one-why-triggers-are-nothing-to-be-ashamed-of/

Contessa

Wow... That quote is powerful.

Will come back to this article, but first i've got a date with self care. A must read right now "