Hello!

Started by EJHMH, June 02, 2020, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EJHMH

Firstly I don't know if I'm posting correctly, so fingers crossed this ends up intro the intro post!

My name's Em, and earlier this year, I started reading Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving. Before that, I hadn't heard of CPTSD and it feels like a huge relief to finally know what's going on.

A bit of background - my parents are alcoholics and always have been. When I was a child, I made it onto the child protection register, but I did not know that until last year when I applied for access to my social services records. I just knew I was some 'some' register'.  My case is very complicated (as I'm sure many of you feel too) but is based about neglect and mental abuse rather than physical abuse, although it toed a line. I won't put all the ins and outs here in an effort to be brief, but I've come to a point where I feel the need to connect with others who can understand a bit better what I'm going through perhaps than other people.

Frustratingly, I've not had a formal diagnoses as I'm trying to overcome some anxiety about my doctors - they've historically not been very helpful with mental health issues, and I fear that not getting the help I know I need will push me back.

I look forward to being a part of this community.

woodsgnome

Hi, Em  :heythere:

Sorry for the reasons you touch on that's brought you here, but congrats on being pro-active as you try to turn the corner into the brighter future you deserve.

You're so right about m.d.'s -- they're literally afraid to touch on anything beyond treating most people like interchangeable robots with only physical manifestations. Okay, that may not be universal, but it was also my experience, so I can empathize with how you feel in that regard.

Okay, that said, it's good to see you've run across Pete Walker's book and now this forum. There are plenty of non-judgmental people here, so I hope you feel free to just be your honest self.

Welcome again.  :hug:

Jazzy

Hi Em,

Welcome to the forums. There are great people here. I hope you find it helpful. It sounds like you're on a good path with the book, beginning to learn the details of what CPTSD entails, and reaching out here and to your doctor.

My GP tried the basics, but he wasn't much help. This kind of thing is "above his pay grade", but thankfully there are psychiatrists, psychologists, and other therapists out there who can help. I hope you find a  good match for you, and to see you around.

All the best! :)

Three Roses

Welcome! Glad you found us.  :hug:

Not Alone

marta1234

I just wanted to say welcome, Em and thank you for sharing your story, trusting us with it.
:grouphug:

owl25

Welcome Em. I am glad things are falling into place for you and starting to make sense. That makes a big difference  :) Glad you are here with us  :heythere:

Snowdrop

Pleased to meet you, Em. :wave: