The world outside my head.

Started by Bermuda, June 10, 2020, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bermuda

It's difficult lately. My panic attacks and flashbacks are different than they have been in the past.

The world seems troublesome right now with all the current issues. I'm bombarded constantly. I avoid social media, and media in general. I feel that I am supposed to have an opinion, and that there is only one appropriate opinion to have.

Meanwhile, I'm having flashbacks that are not associated with any specific memory, and night terrors... It leaves my brain searching for the answer, and coming to several possible conclusions. This week has all been a fog to me. I find myself constantly staring off into the dark tunnel that is my dissociation.

I can't remember where I am going, literally and figuratively. I know I'm waffling a bit, but it's my current state, and I have no idea how to climb out.

Jazzy

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. It usually helps if you can identify how you're feeling and why (what happened to make you start feeling that way). I hope it passes soon!

Snowdrop

I can be like that when I'm having an emotional flashback. I hear you. Sending you a gentle hug, if that feels welcome. :hug:

Kizzie

I'm struggling too Bermuda, just way too much going on in the world that is negative and frightening truth be told and like you it keeps triggering my trauma. I've been okay for the most part but it all accumulates every so often I'm finding and I have periods where it all gets to me. I am sad and depressed and have insomnia at the moment.

Like you I am avoiding the news as much as possible but I still feel bombarded, I guess because you can't go online or turn on the TV without seeing some of what's happening.  And if/when we go out the signs of the pandemic are there.  Our systems are sensitized to threat, danger, traumatic stress so it's no wonder we're feeling triggered. 

The most I can say is talk about it, assure yourself that feelings are normal in very trying, abnormal times, and if you can, look at what is the danger/threat your body is sensing. Is it immediate/direct/out of your control? If it's COVID related are there any additional precautions you can take to reduce risk?  If it's the world reaction to racism, perhaps consider that out of all the anger and protests good may come despite how it feels, that perhaps we have reached a tipping point and things will actually finally change for the better?

Hard I know but we have to help our body, heart and mind calm and try to separate what is going on now from what happened in the past. It's all just too much for anyone let alone those of us who already have layers of trauma we're dealing with. 

:grouphug:

Bermuda

Thank you for the nice reply. I do wish I were better at communicating, but thank you.

Some of my many traumas are related to these things.

???