Leaving my cat at home

Started by rainydiary, June 17, 2020, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainydiary

Hello Community,

My husband and I are planning to camp this weekend.  We have a cat and she will be staying at home.  I have such a difficult time leaving her. 

I have a pet sitter that comes to check on her.   Knowing her habits, I know she sleeps most of the time.  Yet, I still experience tremendous guilt and worry about her.   I adopted her from a shelter - she is a quiet cat and not overly friendly so no one else really wanted her.  The shelter received her as a stray so I'm sure she has been through a lot in her world.  I get this strong feeling of wanting to prevent her from feeling abandoned. 

I am beginning to wonder if I experience some sort of EF whenever we leave.  I am putting my own experience of feeling unwanted and left behind onto her. 

I think I just needed to get this thought out.  I think I am especially feeling it right now because I have been at home with her for over 3 months due to the pandemic and worry she will feel really lonely without us here. 

Hope67

Hi Rainydiary,
I hope that you will be able to enjoy your camping trip this weekend, and I relate to  your feelings about leaving your cat, and especially as you've been together more through the pandemic, but hopefully your pet sitter will make her feel cared for whilst you're away, and she will hopefully be very glad then when you return.  It's lovely that you adopted her, and have given her a home.

I hope you enjoy your camping trip. 
Take care,
Hope  :)

rainydiary

Hope, I appreciate your understanding and support.  My H doesn't understand and it is a source of tension between us.  Today is the day we leave and I feel so sad leaving her.  All week she seems like she knows something is different and it hurts my heart.  I try to focus on the comfort she will have being at home and not being forced to go somewhere else.  We will back in two days and will see her then. 

Kizzie

I can relate completely rainydiary, I have the same feelings towards pets and I do think it's because of what we went through. We know how we would feel if left alone, but she might actually enjoy having the house to herself for a day or two after being so together over the last few months. My H once took pics of our dog when I went out laying on his back on the couch not a care in the world after looking his absolute saddest when I left. 

Hope you enjoy your camping trip this weekend  :sunny:

rainydiary

Thank you Kizzie - your thoughts gave me the space to feel my feelings. 

:grouphug: