Child Abuse Across the Globe

Started by Kizzie, March 01, 2023, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I came across this study today which confirms what we all know as survivors - child abuse is basically a pandemic around the world. 

Stoltenborgh, M., Bakermans-Kranenburg, M., Lenneke R. A., & van IJzendoorn, M.  (2014). The Prevalence of Child Maltreatment across the Globe: Review of a Series of Meta-Analyses. Child Abuse Review, 24(1). doi/10.1002/car.2353

Abstract: In this review, we combine and compare the results of a series of meta-analyses on the prevalence of child sexual, physical and emotional abuse and physical and emotional neglect, including 244 publications and 551 prevalence rates for the various types of maltreatment. Child maltreatment research seems to be dominated by research on sexual abuse, studies in developed parts of the world and research using self-report measures. The overall estimated prevalence rates for self-report studies (mainly assessing maltreatment ever during childhood) were 127/1000 for sexual abuse (76/1000 among boys and 180/1000 among girls), 226/1000 for physical abuse, 363/1000 for emotional abuse, 163/1000 for physical neglect and 184/1000 for emotional neglect. The overall estimated prevalence rates for studies using informants (mainly assessing the 1-year prevalence of maltreatment) were four per 1000 for sexual abuse and three per 1000, respectively, for physical abuse and emotional abuse. We conclude that child maltreatment is a widespread, global phenomenon affecting the lives of millions of children all over the world, which is in sharp contrast with the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of the Child.

FYI - The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child ( UNCRC ) is an international human rights treaty that grants all children and young people (aged 17 and under) a comprehensive set of rights.  Children's rights include: the right to health, education, family life, play and recreation, an adequate standard of living and to be protected from abuse and harm.

Scrat

And I assume that those studies only can measure recognized instances. In order to report child abuse, at least one person has to recognize it as just that, child abuse. From where I am and from what I can see around me, in painfully too many cases people do not even recognize even the severest cases as what they are. I dont mean to be too negative or something. But it is so frightening and dark to really look around and see that it is the worst pandemic and affects to some extent everyone and only in the rarest cases it is seen.

Bermuda

I agree with Scrat and also want to add that although the convention may define child abuse in one way it is legally defined very differently in most places.

I am so grateful to be living in the first country in the world to have banned physical punishment of children.

Very very little of what I went through was legally abuse. There was no help for me.

Scrat

And the sad thing is... that all it would take is one single turn of looking at things: Instead of looking at what law was broken, we should look at the harm it caused.
I know it is much more complicated otherwise, it seems now that I have been thinking about the same things all my life. But still... instead of arguing over what act counts as what and denying reality itself, we simply just should not cause harm to one another and if someone did, then rehabilitation and reparations should come and not punishment and silencing that are even more traumatizing than the original act. :(

Kizzie

I think the actual instance of child abuse is much more massive than anyone can imagine because it happens "behind closed doors" as the advocacy piece on the front page of the forum (see below) suggests and children don't have ways or means to report.  It's astonishing really but because it's hidden and children are powerless it continues.  At least more adults are reporting these days and maybe that will lead to more awareness/recognition and intervention and prevention of child abuse I don't know.

(Advocacy Piece) Complex relational trauma survivors, children especially, suffer ongoing abuse/neglect "behind closed doors" by those who do not want their illegal acts to be seen (e.g., parents, spouses, religious leaders, coaches).  This is different from those who traumatize and abuse/neglect others openly and in groups such as racists, religious persecutors, war makers, political autocrats/dictators.  Because our abuse/neglect is hidden/secret, it is easier to ignore and as a result we are not as well recognized/acknowledged as the very large group we are - complex relational trauma survivors.  As such, funding, research, services and treatment are lacking around the world.  It is why we must open the door and let our trauma be seen so we will be acknowledged by our communities, health services and governments.  It is the only way we will receive the treatment, services and support we all need. We need to take a page from the "#MeToo" movement which has shone a light on sexual abuse taking place behind closed doors and forced awareness of what is a prevalent but unacknowledged problem in society. We can also look to the Vietnam Veterans who organized and made people listen to the pain and suffering they were enduring and through their efforts PTSD was acknowledged and they began to receive the treatment, services and support they need. We must do the same for Complex PTSD.   

Kizzie

There are quite a few research articles like these three from around the world  which sadly confirm what the US Adverse Childhood Events (ACEs) study demonstrated. That is, trauma is clearly linked to poorer health in adulthood and many of the leading causes of death (e.g., cardiovascular disease).   

Canadian Survivors

Afifi, O. et al. (2016). Child abuse and physical health in adulthood. Health Reports, 27, (3), pp. 10-18,  Statistics Canada

Abstract: Abuse in childhood was associated with increased odds of having 9 of the 13 physical conditions assessed in this study and reduced self perceived general health in adulthood. The results of this study underscore the association between three major types of child abuse and physical health conditions and perceived general health in adulthood. Given the relative paucity of information about the relationship between child abuse and physical health compared to mental health, clinicians may have a limited awareness of the role of child abuse in relation to physical conditions. It is important that such awareness is increased since exposure to abuse in childhood may have implications for treatment of physical illnesses. From a public health perspective, it is increasingly recognized that prevention of child abuse has major implications for reduction in mental health problems, but it is also possible that reducing child abuse may lead to better physical health outcomes.

Yup, they do sadly.

US Survivors

Buhrmann, A. & Fuller-Thomson, E. (2022). Poorer physical and mental health among older adults decades after experiencing childhood physical abuse, Aging and Health Research, 2(3), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahr.2022.100088 

Abstract: The objectives of the current study were to identify the prevalence and adjusted odds of 2 mental health and 7 physical health conditions among survivors of childhood physical abuse (CPA) aged 60 and older (n = 409) in comparison to their peers who had not been physically abused (n = 4659). The association between CPA and 2 mental health and 5 physical health conditions remained significant, even after controlling for sociodemographic characteristics, health behaviors and other ACEs.

Chinese Survivors

Liu, et al. (2022). Association between adverse childhood experiences and later-life cardiovascular diseases among middle-aged and older Chinese adults: The mediation effect of depressive symptoms, Journal of Affective Disorders, 319, pp. 277-285, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2022.09.080.

Abstract: To date, few studies have focused on examining either the direct or indirect effect of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) on cardiovascular diseases (CVD). This study aimed to investigate the mediation effect of depressive symptoms as a mediator between ACEs and CVD. ACEs are significantly associated with both onset and increased depressive symptoms and CVD, and depressive symptoms mediated the association between ACEs and incident CVD. Our results suggested that target mental health intervention programs should be delivered to ACEs populations.