Info/Resources

Started by Kizzie, June 19, 2020, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Just starting this thread with an excellent article I came across on Twitter today. I always find my BP rises when I read well-meaning (or perhaps not?) truisms thrown out about how our suffering made us the people we are today, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, things only someone who hasn't gone through what we have would say.

Just Stop – The Universe did not Cause My Abuse For My Greater Good by survivor Mike McBride at Child Abuse Survivor

Spot on  :thumbup:

Not Alone

And this is where the image comes into play, because I will never accept that my abuse was anything other than some other person making the decision to abuse me. It was not about some greater purpose in my life, it was not karma, it was not a nudge from the universe, it was a criminal act conducted by another human being. End of story.

Appreciate M. McBride putting words to what I have thought and felt.

Kizzie

Kizzie

Survivors News and Reviews - A news and media review site for the Child Abuse Survivor community founded and managed by survivor Mike McBride.

Kizzie

Childhood trauma is a public health threat. Our kids deserve better - In this video Dr. Nadine Burke Harris, Surgeon General of California, pediatrician & child advocate explains the science of toxic stress, why childhood trauma has lasting physical & psychological affects, & how science can be used to interrupt & heal those affected.

marti.325

Thank you for this website. I was really glad to read that blog. I'm finding my way around the forum, I guess. I was so frazzled and frustrated at first. I am finding it soothing, surprisingly! Didn't know. I searched and I found!

CactusFlower

Me too, I'm just reading everything for the first time. That was an excellent article. I've never liked the whole "Suffer to make yourself better" concept.

Kizzie

TW - it may be a little triggering for some who ended up having to visit or be in the custody of abusive parent as ordered by family court. 

Adding this here because it explains why children who have been abused by their father are often forced to see him by order of family court. This in response to the argument put forth about "Parental Alienation Syndrome" by father's rights groups in the late 1990s. Imagine having to see your father who abuses you and the court, the law stands behind this.  The world is completely unsafe then.  :'(

"Punish the Children" - https://caper-beige-9sd8.squarespace.com/links

Bodhi_§

Thank you for this. It helps me a lot to know that there are other survivors  out there. I'm feeling less alone each time I visit the OOTS website. Thank you

Kizzie

:grouphug:  Bodhi, good to hear!

Kizzie

Cracked Up - https://www.crackedupmovie.com/

In Cracked Up we witness the impact adverse childhood experiences can have across a lifetime through the incredible story of actor, comedian, master impressionist and Saturday Night Live veteran, Darrell Hammond. Behind the scenes Darrell suffered from debilitating flashbacks, self injury, addiction and misdiagnosis, until the right doctor isolated the key to unlocking the memories his brain kept locked away for over 50 years. Cracked Up creates an inspiring balance between comedy and tragedy helping us understand the effects of childhood trauma in a new light, breaking down barriers of stigma and replacing shame with compassion and hope.

Kizzie

Broken Places - https://brokenplacesfilm.com/#https://brokenplacesfilm.com/#!/about

This documentary poses the complex question of why some children are severely damaged by early adversity while others are able to thrive. To help answer this question, we dug into 40 years of our film archives to update a few of the stories of children growing up in difficult circumstances that we filmed decades ago. It turns out that some of these children were so scarred by abuse and neglect that they are now in mental institutions, correctional facilities, or drug rehabilitation centers. A few died prematurely. However, there are others who managed to overcome comparable childhood stress and are now healthy, self-sufficient adults. Viewers are given a unique time-lapse perspective, witnessing how a few of these troubled children evolved into the adults they are today.

Kizzie

From Wound to Scar - https://www.amazon.ca/Children-Recovering-Complex-Trauma-Wound/dp/0367726297/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2EN3C5AJAXUIO&keywords=from+wound+to+scar&qid=1678638200&sprefix=from+wound+to+sccar%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1

Children Recovering from Complex Trauma: From Wound to Scar draws on the latest knowledge and research on complex trauma in children, as well as the authors' expertise, in order to outline a trauma-sensitive approach to these children and their parents.

The first part of the book describes the emotional and relational dynamics underlying these children's behaviour. The second part of the book offers a glimpse behind the scenes of the authors' psychotherapy practice, elaborating the processes of change and growth that can enable developmental recovery 'from wound to scar' in children who have experienced complex trauma. As such, the book aims to 'demystify' what psychotherapy with a traumatised child may look like, as well as offer insights and tools which can support carers in their daily interactions with these children.

This book will be of great use to the adoptive parents and foster carers of children who have experienced complex trauma, and the care professionals (e.g., teachers, foster care workers) who work with them.