Empathy Overload

Started by brightlight, June 26, 2020, 08:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightlight

Recently, a little over a week ago A street cat named Bob died in a road traffic accident. The story of his owners life, James, an addict who was homeless when he met Bob really touched me. James credited Bob for saving his life and through his books he write about his experiences with Bob, buying his house. His life has completely turned around. James and Bob absolutely adored each other. Since I heard Bob had died , I have been overwhelmed with grief, I cannot stop crying, I feel such intense pain like stabbing and aching in my heart. James is quoted as saying his little soul mate has crossed the rainbow bridge, there's never been a cat like him or will be again and he's bereft.

I feel so much for James, he'll never be able to do all the things he wanted to do together with Bob (they used to fly all over the world for book signings) he was going to be the ring bearer at his wedding. I feel for Bob too, he got out the house, I don't know how but I suspect although nothing has been reported someone took him, dying alone without James beside him. It utterly breaks my heart. His owner was so happy and he said Bob was his soulmate. I have never met either of them but watched the film.

I understand I am upset and I have read comments on social media of others being in tears of Bob's death but I don't understand why I feel utterly grief stricken as if I knew James or Bob personally or as if this has happened to me. I hope so much James can regain happiness and strength from Bob's spirit ( he has said he feel's Bob around and see's a bit of ginger running up the stairs)

I know this sounds really intense but I feel an absolute grief stricken mess over this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

rainydiary

I cried when I read your post as my sweet kitty was meowing at me.  For me, I feel how innocent and sweet animals can be.  How they can become a support through our journey.  My cat likes me no matter what happened in my day or how I feel about myself.  She doesn't know all the horrible things that happened to me not the critical voice that is in my head.  She just wants to play and snuggle and get her food.  I am experiencing grief over what you shared.  I too hope that James has new anchors in his journey. 

Not Alone

When I attend a funeral, I feel grief over the death of the person who died. I also feel grief over others in my life who have died and other losses. James' story and loss is very sad. Maybe it also hooks into other losses in your life.

brightlight

rainydiary - Thank you for your kind words. notalone - I feel like that at funerals too. I still feel for James and Bob and keep asking 'what if' Bob never got out the house etc. I think I an grieving for connections and animals I have lost in my life too, sometimes my strong emotions happen without realising where they are coming from. I do overly empathise with people and animals which is good is some circumstances but means I feel like I'm taking on the weight of the world and try to figure people out.