4th of july

• 6 Replies

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
4th of july
« on: July 04, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »
today is the celebration of the birth of the u.s.  with the state this country is in right now, i honestly don't feel very much like celebrating.  my heart is heavy - it feels so much like going back to the unrest and turbulence that started the civil war, the women's movement, the vietnam demonstrations, the civil rights movement.  i remember what it was like in the midst of most of these.  i can only hope and pray for healing, but am not in a party mood. 

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 4th of july
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »
I felt the same way on Jul 1st here San.   :hug:

it seems to me many democracies are facing some pretty hard truths right now about how much abuse there is in our countries past and present.  I was about to make a Happy Canada Day tweet and stopped because I know now more than ever that it the founding of this country came at a cost and that colonialism is threaded throughout our history to the present. I like that I stopped and thought about tweeting, it was uncomfortable but also hopeful in the sense that maybe we can/will get somewhere given a lot more of us are willing to face and confront abuses and stand up to them. 

sanmagic7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »
good to hear your voice, kizzie. 

sorry that you had that difficult decision to make.  :hug:

Tee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:50:47 AM »
 :hug: happy 4th to everyone.  I hope the hate people show to one and other faces will one day fade away and instead be replaced by the love that we each have in our hearts. :grouphug:

sanmagic7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 04:28:13 AM »
amen to that, tee. :hug:

alliematt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »
I just saw this post.  I live in the USA and I donít feel like Iím allowed to be proud of my country anymore.  Iím sad at our current state of affairs and I feel totally powerless and exhausted.

sanmagic7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
allie, i think you're allowed to feel any way you like.  just my opinion.

this is a very sad time for this country, tho, for sure.