How to heal shame

Started by sigiriuk, July 11, 2020, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigiriuk

JP Sears to the rescue.........(again)

https://youtu.be/j67O34fMlHQ

Slim

Not Alone

Thanks. Made note of this to listen to at another time.

marta1234

Thank you Slim for the video, I just watched it and hit me to the core. I have so much shame, and throughout the video I could picture it as a young kid (of myself). For me, shame is entangled with my fear that has followed me throughout my whole life. The video was very insightful.

Marian82

mojay

thank you for posting, Slim. Really like this video. I really identified when he was talking about becoming shame and becoming the poison. I have felt like poison for so long and never really connected it to my shame. Looking forward to browsing more of his videos

Taylor27

:hug: Thank you for sharing this video

lohmannd

I just found this post, and feel that the video completely resonated with me.  Many thanks for posting this,

Papa Coco

Great video Slim. Thanks for sharing it.

I especially like his "A fish doesn't know it's swimming in water" analogy. I recently complained to my long-time therapist that I feel like I'm getting worse instead of better. He then reminded me that I used to be so dissociated that I thought our hour sessions were being cut short to five minutes and that he would have to make me sit with a glass of water for ten minutes "waking back up" before letting me drive my car home. It turns out that now that I'm not dissociated 24/7 anymore, NOW I know what it feels like to be dissociated versus not dissociated. (Frozen vs thawed). Now that I know how good it feels to be unfrozen for most of the day, NOW I feel the difference. I'm not living in the pain constantly anymore, so now I know how it feels to go in and out of it. So while I THINK I'm feeling worse than before, I'm actually feeling better, but now I know the difference.

Dante

Thanks for that, Papa Coco.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  I'm feeling worse, but the fact that I'm feeling at all means I'm feeling better.  Dissociation to me means watching a movie vs. actually seeing, and most of the time, I'm just watching a movie.  But more and more, I'm catching snippets of seeing.  They only last a minute or so, and then I try hard to get them back, but they don't come on their own.  But just to be able to see is awesome.

I'm thawing.  Thanks for that visual.