Unshame, by Carolyn Spring (book)

Started by Not Alone, July 13, 2020, 03:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Alone

I just received and read the book, Unshame by Carolyn Spring. I haven't read a whole lot of books on trauma and recovery. I start reading then I'm so triggered that I can't go on. Sometimes I go back weeks or months later, other books remain on my shelf, unfinished. Unshame was a book that I read in almost one day. I wouldn't say that I wasn't triggered at all, but it wasn't bad.

Carolyn Spring is a trauma survivor and has DID. In this book she brings us into her therapy sessions as she struggles through the issue of shame. My biggest feeling right now from reading it is feeling less alone. Sometimes when she shared what was going on in her head during session, I thought, wow, my mind goes there too. Her chapter Dealing with Denial sounded very much like sessions I have had with therapist.

If you would like to check out her web site, it is https://www.carolynspring.com/.

sigiriuk

Hi notalone
Thanks for the tip.. Will have a read. I get dissociative episodes too..hope it will help me.
Slim

Snookiebookie2

Carolyn Spring also has a YouTube channel.  There aren't many videos, but they are still very good. 

She comes across as very knowledgeable and credible. You can tell that she has genuinely stuffered from the conditions that she discusses whilst not coming across a victim. She is practical, non-nonsense and honest.

It's worth a watch.

woodsgnome

Already some great testimony here, but I'll add a brief word and hope it helps the curious.

I guess what most stood out in my readings of her offerings was its personable and easy-to-read manner. Her style is very conversational, as if one is sharing one's heartfelt story.

In the process, she's alright with telling her tale with full honesty, knowing what trauma is really like from her inside-out personal perspective. Sure, there's some explanatory analysis but it's not overly laden with endless expert jargon and doesn't dance around the nitty-gritty pain that goes with the territory.

Sensing that she'd personally "walked-the talk" made a huge difference for me.   

Hope67

Hi Notalone,
I've just seen your post here, and I am also benefiting so much from Carolyn Spring's work - although I am taking a break this week for a 'holiday' with my partner, and therefore will be looking forward to returning to do Carolyn's courses.  I've not bought her book though - but I am tempted to do so.  Thank you for your recommendation of it here.
:hug: to you.
Hope  :)