EMotional Flashback

Started by sigiriuk, July 20, 2020, 01:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigiriuk

I do the Zoom NAASCA meetings, and learnt about emotional flashbacks. I sort of understood it before, but was able to recognise it in another person, and in so doing, came to see it in myself.
One of the main flashbacks is being frightened of going home after school. Frightened of being told off, punished, humiliated or hit.
I could not help but feel empathy for myself: but I do practice empathy every day...even if i don't feel it.
It is a painful emotional memory, but I am trying to reassure myself that it is pain and fear from long ago.
Slim

Three Roses

I feel empathy for that boy you were, and can recognize that feeling in myself. I'm glad you are able to get a deeper level of understanding and so hopefully more empathy for yourself. You deserve it.  :hug:

Kizzie

I didn't feel safe going home either Slim.  :'(   You didn't deserve any of what was inflicted on you, you were just a boy and like TR I hope the empathy becomes real and enduring, you deserve peace and freedom from fear, anger, shame  :grouphug:

sigiriuk

Its a bit annoying, because I feel frightened, quite teary, but also a feeling of "to * with everything" and "I dont care - I refuse to do anything" - like a tantrum.
This feeling doesnt make much sense: has anyone else had this?

Three Roses

Yup, that sounds like how I get sometimes. Sometimes it's a good thing. 😎😉

sigiriuk

Thanks Three Roses and Kizzie

Kizzie

I'm actually working on the tantrum thing w/my new T Slim - if it helps we/I view this reaction which often happens in the face of awful behav by others. My teen self never got to express the anger, fear, rage she felt at being abused and I guess I keep her on lockdown a lot of the time because she felt/feels the most anger and I am afraid of her and it. Expressing anger only ever brought me more abuse and shame. The teen in me keeps having tantrums because she needs and deserves to be heard.

Again, if it helps we're aiming to accept that regulated anger is or can be a healthy emotion - it alerts us to abuse and can be used to set boundaries with others. Instead of pushing it away or stuffing it down, I try to feel it and to reassure my teen it is helpful and healthy as long as we/I express it in a regulated way.  Easier said than done I know, but I do seem to be making some progress.

Hope this is helpful Slim, if not please disregard  :hug:

Kizzie

Here's a (hopefully) helpful link that talks about what I was trying to say in my post Slim - https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-should-say-no-to-positivity-and-yes-to-our-negative-emotions/.

Three Roses

Excellent article, Kizzie! I liked this part especially -
QuoteSuppressing or turning away from our difficult emotions is not healthy or helpful, says David. "What happens is, it undermines our ability to deal with the world as it is, not as we wish it to be," she says. "This is associated with lower levels of resilience, lower levels of wellbeing, and higher levels of depression and anxiety. And it also impacts our relationships and our ability to achieve our goals."

That is exactly why I stayed in an abusive marriage for 27 years, and only left when my health began to seriously deteriorate. I repressed my own need for safety, respect and stability to meet the (sick and wrong lol) expectations I held of what marriage was.

We've since reconciled tho, and those events helped give my h the incentive to seek change and healing in and for himself. We are both much happier these days.

I will go on to say, however, that imo there's too much emphasis on labeling emotions as negative or positive. An emotion is really neither good nor bad, and only the action it spurs us to take is healthy/good or harmful/bad. But that is just a layman's opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not Alone

Quote from: Slim on July 20, 2020, 06:56:44 PM
Its a bit annoying, because I feel frightened, quite teary, but also a feeling of "to * with everything" and "I dont care - I refuse to do anything" - like a tantrum.
Yes, I feel like that sometimes. I think it's when I feel overwhelmed &/or hurt. "I don't care" is like a shield: if I don't care, I can't be hurt. It doesn't work.  :Idunno: Also, in me it is probably a younger part's reaction/way of trying to cope.

sigiriuk

Thx notalone. It helps, because as usual I think I am the only one. My therapist told me yesterday that "of course you feel angry, and stubborn, and dug your heels in...it was a positive reaction, to all the horrid things, that made no sense, and really hurt".

My therapist went on to say that this is one way I coped, and that it is was a good strategy to manage the craziness. He said that without it, I might not have survived, mentally or physically.

For him, defenses like anger, and passive aggression are not negative, bad or shameful, but have goodness in them, as they helped me on my journey.

Kizzie, thx for the link. I could listen to Susan David all day, much like Brene Brown.

Slim

Kizzie

Quote"of course you feel angry, and stubborn, and dug your heels in...it was a positive reaction, to all the horrid things, that made no sense, and really hurt"

What we all need to hear (and believe)  :thumbup:

Blueberry

Quote from: Slim on July 20, 2020, 06:56:44 PM
a feeling of "to * with everything" and "I dont care - I refuse to do anything"

I have this part still, but not so much mixed with sadness or fear anymore. I actually repeatedly said "I don't care" to my parents as a 6-8 yo (about the damage I was doing to myself). They used to say "Well you will care later" but they were wrong. Probably as notalone says it worked as a shield. In my case I think it did work to a certain extent and even still does maybe, as unhealthy as it is when it ends in an eating binge e.g.

Slim, my T agrees. Anger is not 'bad' in itself. In fact you need it to set boundaries and protect yourself.

sigiriuk

Thx Blueberry.
I'm a work in progress....
Slim

Geeky Gramma

Slim, I have so much compassion and understanding for you now, and also for that little boy that felt so scared.  I have so much empathy for all the feelings you are feeling, and the way they toss you about. Why do I not extend that to myself? Why do we do that to ourselves? Sending you support and compassion as you navigate...