job interview today

Started by BlankPage, July 20, 2020, 05:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlankPage

I have a phone interview in 45 minutes for a job that I hope will finally enable us to be financially independent and move away from my BF's family.  Most of them (uncle, cousins) have been helpful, but his mom is the worst - narcissistic, critical, always saying things to stoke anxiety and distress, constantly telling my BF that he's 'embarrassing' her and 'everyone' is upset with him over petty things.  I get less of it, but I've had my share of her negativity, too, because she can't seem to help herself.

It's been a long time since I was young enough to walk into a job interview with bravado and innocent/ignorant confidence.  I did a positive mindset/self-esteem meditation, which helped.  I would like to go into this interview feeling confident, self-assured, acting like I already have the job.  I am trying really hard not to let my habit of pessimism and self-defeatism and anxiety run away with me.  If anyone has any words of advice (or encouragement!), I'd be grateful!

saylor

Good luck, so excited for you! ;D

Projecting confidence is very important, so that is good to keep front and center, even if you're not really feeling it and have to put on a bit of an act.

Also, remember that your future boss wants to be able to know that you'll make their life easier if they hire you, so I'd suggest that you frame your answers with that in mind—anticipate, based on the nature of the job, what your boss's needs will be, and respond in ways that show that you've got it covered.

I'm rooting for you, and I believe in you  :hug:

BlankPage

Thank you so much, Saylor! 

Bach

Wishing you calm confidence.  Have you ever tried superhero pose?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/strike-a-pose-the-super-hero-pose-for-greater-power_b_59a05026e4b0cb7715bfd507
It sounds silly but I think it kind of works!  Best of luck with the interview.

sigiriuk

YEs, and from me too in London
Slim

buddy9832

Good luck! It sounds cliche but I've seriously found "Faking it until you make" does wonders. If you portray calmness and confidence It will go miles. Even if you don't actually feel it.

BlankPage

Thank you, everyone, for your votes of confidence!  I forgot until just now that I was going to dress up for it to put myself in a professional mindset.  :-/  I was nervous, but I tried my best.

I am inclined to say it went 'meh.'  I will find out in a week one way or another.  I am trying to be optimistic but, if I get turned down, not let rejection destroy my world, which it has had a tendency to do in the past.  It's really hard when so much hope is pinned on getting a job that will finally let me be a grown-up!!

Thank you again, everyone, for taking the time to reply and sending your positive vibes.  :)  I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of your day!

Three Roses

I'm a bit late to offer my support but best wishes & fingers crossed!