Any Good Resources for Anger Management?

Started by SGB, July 20, 2020, 07:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGB

Hi everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone had any good resources or books directly for anger management?

A simple Google search just makes me  :stars:

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks.

Kizzie

We definitively need some resources about anger SGB so I will have a look around and see what I can find.  I'm working on anger right now myself with my T and much of what we've discussed/practiced has to do identifying anger, what underlies it and how I can regulate it so I'm not overwhelmed, stuff it down, dissociate from it, etc.  Here's an article I found about dysregulation and how therapy/mindfulness can help:

When a normally functioning adult experiences a strong emotion they come equipped with a range of tools. First, they have the conceptual apparatus to understand what is they are feeling, which in itself gives them a degree of grounding and security. Conversely, people suffering from affect dysregulation typically do not experience these strong emotions as "fear", "anger" or the like, but rather experience an overwhelming and unbearable sense of raw pain.

Secondly, most people usually have some sense of why they feel how they do and what prompted it, which gives them the ability to orient their emotions towards a target and formulate an action in response. Conversely, victims of complex trauma often do not understand why they feel this way and cannot trace their feelings to a specific cause with which they can engage.

Finally, emotional awareness allows people to challenge their own emotions, consciously regulate them and choose whether or not to take action in accord, all of which is impossible for those who have not learned the toolbox of emotional regulation.

Of course, all of us from time to time experience emotions we can control and act in a way that appears wrong in the light of later reflection, but for those whose emotional learning process was stunted and warped by complex trauma, affect dysregulation is a constant burden and all of life becomes an elaborate coping mechanism to compensate
.   Ref: https://psychcentral.com/lib/affect-dysregulation-and-c-ptsd/

Also, this article and TED talk - https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-should-say-no-to-positivity-and-yes-to-our-negative-emotions/.