Face Shields Might Be Alternative to Triggering Face Masks

Started by I like vanilla, August 04, 2020, 03:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like vanilla

I am not quite sure where this one ought to be posted but since it is related to the fact face masks are **HUGELY TRIGGERING** for me, I am putting it in the triggers section.

I am also recognizing that this is a controversial topic and that I might again get ad hominem comments on this board. However, I did want to let others in a similar situation to me know that there might be a potential option out there to help us. This posting is for those of us who are triggered by wearing face masks so that it is difficult if not impossible to wear one. It is also those who have, or who know someone who has, a good reason (e.g. physical, mental, and/or emotional health) for not being able to wear a face mask. I am in NO way advocating against face masks nor am I making judgements about those who wear them (though for the record I generally feel favourably to people who do). I am simply pointing out an option that might be helpful to those of us who have good reasons to not wear a mask, because some of us do have good reasons for not being able to wear a face mask even though we still wish to be good citizens of our communities.

A friend of mine, knowing of my inability to wear a face mask, recently suggested to me to try a face shield instead. I did not know that that was even an option, or even exactly what that was so I looked it up (part of the reason I am posting here because others might also not know about it). A face shield is like a clear, plastic visor that, well, shields your face. It hangs across the wear's face off a band that goes around the top of a wear's head. Ideally, a face shield for disease protection should go from ear-to-ear and extend lower than your chin (based on what I have read on the internet about them). Another friend let me borrow her shop face shield (yes, we managed it from from 2 m apart with appropriate cleaning and disinfecting). For me, the face shield was wonderful. I found it to be different enough from a face mask that it was not triggering for me. The only downside for me was that the shield was a bit heavy, but that is because it was a shop shield designed to protect people from potentially flying bits of metal, machinery, etc. in a fabrication shop (it also serves the covid-19 purposes but is too much for just covid-19 shielding). The ones designed for disease control are much more light weight. I also learned that while not as easily available as face masks, a drugstore chain where I live does carry them. I did not check online but imagine there are sources there. Also, there are directions to make your own, including some patterns to run on 3D printers (not an option for everyone but I have a couple of friends who have 3D printers and I am hoping they will try it).

I know that others might have a different experience, and that still others have underlying reasons to not cover their faces or to not have something around their heads, etc. that would negate the option of face shields, and I send sympathy to everyone in these situations. However, for at least some of us who want to (and/or who are being legally mandated to) participate in this part of the covid-19 safety practices but who have physical, emotional, psychological, or other real barriers to do so, a face shield might be an option that allows us to go out of our homes and participate in activities like those who are able to wear face masks. That said, I am no lawyer, so do not know how legal officials will respond to the face shields vs. masks in various regions where masks are mandated. I am fortunate that while they are encouraged here, masks are not mandatory where I live, but I do plan to wear a shield now on public transit and for similar activities. I do know that health care and government officials in a growing number of places are arguing that face shields also be an allowed option.

Right now, the research about face shields, especially covid-19 specific data, is disappointingly lacking, though I read recently that a number of labs have been doing the testing - hopefully, we will have results out soon. However, using and extrapolating from other research (e.g. related to the Spanish Flu), looking at how the average person uses cloth face masks, and adding information about what we know about the covid-19 virus, many health-care professionals are arguing in favour of face shields as a viable alternative to face masks. (see I do know about science - I actually am, in fact, a scientist - sorry defensive response from above-mentioned ad hominem comments).

For example, an infectious disease expert from John Hopkins Centre for Health Security recently (June 2020) said that the most important strategies remain: wash our hands frequently, avoid touching our faces, and keep at least 2 m apart from each other as much as possible (agreeing with experts worldwide) but then also noted that face shields might eventually supplant face masks because the shields have the added benefits of keeping us from touching our faces and of protecting our eyes (agreeing with a growing number of healthcare professionals and infections disease experts). Finally, he said that more research is being done. So, hopefully we will have some solid data soon. I would post the article but the licensing terms that I agreed to to use the journal articles database, and the copyright laws of my country, prevent me from doing so. I will, however, keep an eye on the hopefully-soon upcoming results of the research and try to post updates as they come up (did I mention that I am, in fact a scientist? Oh, and, yeah, I read the journal articles as well as the news and instead of the social-media postings - wow, I am starting to realize how triggering this forum has been made for me...).

From what I can find, the only real drawbacks that people cite are:

1) shields are relatively bulky, especially compared to masks
For me, the choice of carrying a shield vs. debilitating EFs makes that an easy decision

2) shields are relatively expensive compared to masks
In the initial outlay, yes maybe (a shield at the drugstore chain I mentioned above is about $10) but the shields can be washed and reused almost indefinitely where the one-time use masks cannot and should really be replaced immediately once someone has sneezed or coughed in it (though I have never seen that happen even though I have seen many coughs and sneezes by those wearing them).
That said, yes, other cloth masks of varying levels of effectiveness can be washed too, so expense is still a concern, especially when times are extra tight financially for many of us. I won't deny that. For me, again, it is worth the extra cost, but I would never want to speak for someone else's budget decisions.

So, there is hope for those of us who have difficulty wearing face masks. Face shields might be an option for some of us. If nothing else, it might be worth looking into. And, so I am posting on the board because until a caring friend mentioned it to me, I had no idea that it was even an option. I wanted to pass the information on to others who might find it useful or needed in their lives. I hope that some of you find it helpful.

marta1234

Thank you Ilikevanilla for sharing this information. I've been thinking about you and other people who are unable to wear masks while more governments are putting mandatory mask wearing everywhere. But I'm glad you found a solution to this problem that works for you (and I think this information will help others). Although, as you said, there still might be people who are unable to wear masks or face shields. Which sucks.

Sending you support, Ilikevanilla :)

Blueberry

Kizzie

gcj07a

I am a teacher and we are being asked to wear these (https://www.rapidresponseppe.com/) when teaching so the kids can see our faces. It takes care of the mask issue without sacrificing protection.