Increasing bad dreams

Started by Dontaskme495, August 12, 2020, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dontaskme495

I haven't been able to or just can't remember any dreams for the last 10yrs or so. I've recently started recovery work and they've come back. They aren't nightmares or terrors, just bad dreams. Anxious, frustrating, embarrassing situations. I'm not particularly upset with this, but I can tell that my sleep quality is lowered and I wake up in a low grade flashback.

I noticed some older similar threads, has anyone found a remedy or did they just stop on their own?

RiverRabbit

For me, the bad dreams were a part of my processing through old stuff that I had buried for a long time.

As I got further through old trauma, the bad dreams went away.

I hope this happens for you as well.

rainydiary

I too have noticed an increase in these types of dreams of late.  For me it does seem related to healing and to using strategies I've been learning.  It is tough though because I feel less rested and wake up more hypervigilant. 

I go through phases when I have these dreams and often time eases them for me.  Sometimes they also reveal truths for me that I've been ignoring when awake which can be a good and bad thing. 

I hope you find some ease! 

Three Roses

I've recently come out of exactly that - not necessarily terrible nightmares but troubling dreams. They have stopped now as I've started focusing again on my healing.

Kizzie

I never had a lot of nightmares but I do have recurring anxiety dreams nightly - the kind where I can't find my class schedule or notes or classroom (way past school now so ?), don't have enough money for a bus, wandering through a city trying to get somewhere, etc.

It's strange because I'm organized, prepared and don't let things like that happen and maybe that's the point IDK.  My executive self is still worried about not being in control because it makes me vulnerable to abuse, embarrassment, criticism, etc.

Perhaps it's something like this that is driving your dreams?