Itchiness (& Anxiety?)

Started by Kat, August 23, 2020, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat

I recently went back to work and have been feeling extra anxious and overwhelmed.  I've also found myself suffering from itchiness.  My scalp escpecially, but pretty much all over.  I think they must be linked.  Has anyone else experienced this type of itchiness?  I find that Benedryl (OTC allergy med) helps, but it also puts me to sleep.  Creams & oatmeal baths do nothing.  Just curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this issue.

Blueberry

Hello Kat,

I have an itchy thread here: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=13694.0 I haven't traced my itchiness to a particular emotion though. In the past I sometimes thought it might be anger-related and/or like an allergy to FOO. I get quite a lot of somatic symptoms.

I was prescribed Fenistil ointment for them quite a few years ago. It just made everything itch and burn even worse. I'm doing best atm with cooling my legs  and other affected body parts with cold wet cloths. I also read it's helpful to pinch or pat the the areas rather than scratching. I do that when I remember.

I hope it clears up soon and/or you find something that helps that doesn't make you sleepy.  :hug:

Kizzie

What helps me is not to use anything with fragrance so my laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, etc are all fragrance free.  I also use ice packs to calm really itchy spots which I know isn't an option when everything is itchy, but perhaps a cold water shower? I think there are non-drowsy antihistamines available now too - I can't use them as they give me the jitters --  so maybe ask at your pharmacy.

And of course, the "easy to say, harder to do" option - reducing stress always helps my inflammation issues.  ;D

Rainagain

I have scalp psoriasis due to stress, it responds to coal tar shampoo. Might be worth a try

Not Alone

I have the same thing. I tried lots of suggestions from the internet. Finally broke down and went to a dermatologist. I was diagnosed with psoriasis, which I learned is autoimmune. They gave topical shampoos and creams. Those have not been very effective, so I have another appointment to do blood work, etc., then meds.

dollyvee

This is an old thread but I've learned that stress can increase histamine and one of the signs of high histamine are hives and itchiness. It could be that not only are you sensitive and easily create histamine but you might have low enzyme capacity to breakdown histamines as well (like me :cheer:). Taking something (antidepressants, birth control) that interferes with the enzymes' (DAO, HNMT, MAO) capacity to breakdown histamine.

I'm not sure how histamine reacts with psoriasis but as I understand inflammation as Kizzie mentioned (ie leaky gut induced, GI infection, chronic infection, food allergies) can cause flare ups.

This is a good explanation:
https://www.fxmedicine.com.au/blog-post/relationship-between-histamine-oestrogen-progesterone-and-cortisol

I can't find the source now but getting jittery after antihistamines might be a sign of low histamine? I'll see if I can remember where I saw it (short and long term memory are also affected by the H3 histamine recptors - ha!)