Itchiness (& Anxiety?)

• 4 Replies

Kat

• View Profile
Itchiness (& Anxiety?)
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »
I recently went back to work and have been feeling extra anxious and overwhelmed.  I've also found myself suffering from itchiness.  My scalp escpecially, but pretty much all over.  I think they must be linked.  Has anyone else experienced this type of itchiness?  I find that Benedryl (OTC allergy med) helps, but it also puts me to sleep.  Creams & oatmeal baths do nothing.  Just curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this issue.

Blueberry

• 'Should' is never good for me.
    • View Profile
Re: Itchiness (& Anxiety?)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
Hello Kat,

I have an itchy thread here: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=13694.0 I haven't traced my itchiness to a particular emotion though. In the past I sometimes thought it might be anger-related and/or like an allergy to FOO. I get quite a lot of somatic symptoms.

I was prescribed Fenistil ointment for them quite a few years ago. It just made everything itch and burn even worse. I'm doing best atm with cooling my legs  and other affected body parts with cold wet cloths. I also read it's helpful to pinch or pat the the areas rather than scratching. I do that when I remember.

I hope it clears up soon and/or you find something that helps that doesn't make you sleepy.  :hug:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
What helps me is not to use anything with fragrance so my laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, etc are all fragrance free.  I also use ice packs to calm really itchy spots which I know isn't an option when everything is itchy, but perhaps a cold water shower? I think there are non-drowsy antihistamines available now too - I can't use them as they give me the jitters --  so maybe ask at your pharmacy.

And of course, the "easy to say, harder to do" option - reducing stress always helps my inflammation issues.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:25:09 PM by Kizzie »

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 01:14:10 AM »
I have scalp psoriasis due to stress, it responds to coal tar shampoo. Might be worth a try

notalone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
I have the same thing. I tried lots of suggestions from the internet. Finally broke down and went to a dermatologist. I was diagnosed with psoriasis, which I learned is autoimmune. They gave topical shampoos and creams. Those have not been very effective, so I have another appointment to do blood work, etc., then meds.