Started by cflage, August 25, 2020, 05:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflage

Hi there. I'm not sure how involved I'll be here but I believe it will be a helpful resource to help me map out the extent to which I've been affected.

I'm in my mid30s now, I have a good job now, I live alone with my cat. I suffered pretty severe bullying for most of my teen years, but had written it all off as something that wouldn't affect me after I graduated and moved away. If you had asked me how things were after I got away, I'd say I was doing great and it was all just like a bad dream, and I'm awake now, and it's over.

But looking back now, that wouldn't really be true. I have had a lot of difficulty in college and graduate school and afterward with forming relationships, and constantly remembering awful situations I was in, and sensing danger everywhere. It was difficult being able to network and start a career. People close to me advised it was all just social anxiety, which to some extent I'm sure was true, and so I self-treated for SA for 10 years, and yet a lot of problem feelings and behaviors still persist. Finally a friend told me you could have PTSD even if you had never been in violent combat. I asked to know more. And that's how I got here. The things people talk about regarding CPTSD are very familiar to me, so I'm going to do what I can to retrain my thinking, behaviors, and maybe become a little better version of myself.

I already read the guidelines and introductory materials, no need to direct me there.

Three Roses

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS  cflage  :heythere:

Bullying can definitely result in CPTSD and is a form of abuse that schools, parents, etc need to be educated about. Stronger prevention and intervention processes are needed and trauma informed treatment made available. 

You may want to have a look at this site by Laura Corbeth who is a survivor of bullying and now advocates and raises awareness - http://lauracorbeth.com/.

Not Alone