Making manageable steps out of isolation

Started by cflage, August 25, 2020, 06:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflage

Please pardon me if I'm in over my head here. I've only known about CPTSD for a week, still making connections in terms of what protective factors you can likely start to work with on your own versus biting off more than you can chew.

Maybe a familiar notion, but a lot of things I have done to protect myself from re-experiencing traumatic moments have been temporary fixes, and have the effect of socially isolating me. I thought maybe that might be a helpful place for me to start.

Are there strategies to "re-assimilate" for lack of a better word that helped you not bump into beliefs about people being categorically unsafe/greedy/abrasive/untrustworthy?

Kizzie

Relationships are a protective factor but oh so hard for us to build and maintain given we suffered relational trauma and our hearts, minds and bodies were primed over time to reject anyone getting too close. 

Just speaking for myself I have been trying to learn about and practice/build healthier relationships by being here at OOTS and through relational therapy. There's some good info here about what is relational therapy and why it's so important for those of us with CPTSD - http://pete-walker.com/pdf/relationalHealingComplexPTSD.pdf.

Something more of us are talking about is finding virtual and/or face-to-face groups for relational trauma survivors where we can talk about/learn about relationships in a safer environment; that is, where participants all understand what is CPTSD and how it affects trust, etc.  I know several members here are part of a virtual group run by the National Association of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse.   

NAASCA's daytime Recovery Meetings (recovery from child abuse and it's trauma):      

WHEN: Held every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday - 2pm EST (so 11am PAC)
TOPIC: NAASCA's daytime Recovery Meetings (recovery from child abuse and it's trauma)
ZOOM.us - Meeting ID#: 769 832 8303

Please .. join us if you wish! You can choose to appear on-camera or not .. it's up to you .. but everyone will be invited to participate. These meetings will be most similar to the 'Q&A discussion' editions of our talk radio shows.