Subscribing to a Topic / Email Notifications to a Post or a Reply

Started by Persistant, September 13, 2020, 03:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Persistant

Hi All,

Did you know that you can subscribe to a post and receive email notifications if there are replies to that post ? And you can subscribe to a particular reply and receive email notification of replies to that specific one only.

Here's the Usr Manual for future ref - https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:As_a_regular_user

How to Subscribe to a Topic from that Usr Manual - https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Notifications -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Notifications
Subscribing to a Topic

There are two ways to subscribe to a topic:

When you are posting a reply, under Attachments and other options, you may check the Notify me of replies box.
    When you are viewing the topic, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be asked if you are sure, select OK to confirm the subscription.

Subscribing to a Board

To subscribe to a board, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the Message Index of the respective board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I invite you all to do this because so many posts fizzle out after a day or two which is a shame. However if you know when someone has replied you can at least choose to go read it and reply, at the moment you can but check in at random which may mean missing out on replies. It's important on a forum like this that we can build lasting supportive relationships and the ability to follow a topic in a timely fashion helps a great deal to that end.

Persistant

Since I wrote this post I have switched on notifications but failed to receive any so it would seem that feature isn't working. I'd like to request that Kizzie look into this please and also to make the notifications button much more visible and prominent, hardly anyone seems to know it is even available which is a shame.

Blueberry

I used to get email notifications sometimes and I found it a pain in the neck tbh. I just come on site here and click Recent Unread Topics or Updated Topics. That's all I need. Depending on what type of mobile device you're using, that might not work, Idk.

You can ask Kizzie directly but I know she's pretty occupied atm what with her h having had a bad stroke.

The 'fizzling out' of posts after a day or two may have other reasons. Life gets in the way, lack of energy, a mbr or two go into an EF etc.

Kizzie

It's not working properly at the moment so I will look into it but it will have to wait as I am dealing with my husband's stroke at the moment.  If there are other glitches plse post them here and I will get to them as soon as I am able.

Three Roses

I've just been cgecking them manually when I want, I don't want the extra emails. 

Hope67

Hi Persistant,
Just testing whether I can reply to this. 
Hope  :)