Kingfisher, diving deep, coming up again... (and again... and...)

Started by Kingfisher, September 21, 2020, 07:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingfisher

Hope, I came across a link to an article you posted in 2018 and I (like many of us here, I'm sure) relate to every word in it; the WHOLE list of damaging, crushing, soul-destroying effects of growing up (down) under the sick regime of (a) narcissist(s).
I want to link to it again:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-legacy-distorted-love/201802/how-narcissistic-parenting-affects-children

gravity

This resonates deeply with me.  There is a lot to go through and think about.  It can be overwhelming.

A supportive hug  :hug:

Hope67

Hi Kingfisher,
I'm glad that you found that article helpful.  I might have another look at it myself, but for today I'm holding onto a calmer place, so most likely avoiding re-reading things.

I just popped by to offer you a supportive hug  :hug:
Hope  :)

Kingfisher

Hey Hope,
I hope you could hold onto that calmer place, today!
Sending you a Hug of Support in return,

Kingfisher

Bermuda

It's a terrible thing how narcissists are often public figures. My mother was narcissistic. It was always so strange watching the masks she put on for outsiders, and how suddenly her faces changed. As a child it puzzled me that people could not see through it. Her voice and grin just seemed sinister. It was always a case of "The truth belongs to he who shouts the loudest" ...Which was my mother. My mother wasn't famous however, perhaps in her own mind. It was always as if we were playing the roles of her children in public. Very strange.

I'm glad you've found this forum too.  :grouphug:

Not Alone

Quote from: Bermuda on October 02, 2020, 08:48:49 PM
It was always as if we were playing the roles of her children in public.

This really struck me, Bermuda. My siblings and I being dressed up always felt like that was to point attention to my mother. I don't think she was a narcissist, although after reading the article, I'm not sure.