Spiritual abuse

Started by Geeky Gramma, September 26, 2020, 03:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeky Gramma

I struggle with C-PTSD.  My husband and I have been separated for months now,  but living in the same house.  He has narcissistic tendencies,  and the bullying, control and overall abuse has ramped up.  Today,  among other awful things, he said that my
C-PTSD would be cured if I would just forgive the people that abused me.  He does not think I need a therapeutic professional relationship. He says all I need is a Christian counselor who would use Biblical principles, and I could be cured. Meanwhile, he  continues to narcissisticly abusing me . The stress is making my symptoms flare terribly. I feel like im drowning.

Blueberry

I'm so sorry you're going through this Geeky Gramma. Your h is totally wrong with his forgiveness suggestion! Come to the forum as much as you need. We can be your life raft.

Three Roses

Saying you'd be cured if you forgive IS spiritual abuse. It's as ridiculous as saying you'd be healed of a broken leg if you only forgive the person who tripped you. CPTSD is not only in our minds - we carry it physically and neurologically. The effects of cptsd can be seen in brain scans.  It is an injury, not an illness. Your husband is ignorant. (I'm a Christian, BTW.)

jmp710

I'm so sorry that he is doing this to you. He is wrong and Im really bothered with his implying you need a Christian counselor and is using God to bully you. We are here to support you. 💜

Not Alone

Quote from: Three Roses on September 26, 2020, 01:43:18 PM
Saying you'd be cured if you forgive IS spiritual abuse. It's as ridiculous as saying you'd be healed of a broken leg if you only forgive the person who tripped you. CPTSD is not only in our minds - we carry it physically and neurologically. The effects of cptsd can be seen in brain scans.  It is an injury, not an illness. Your husband is ignorant. (I'm a Christian, BTW.)
:yeahthat:
I see a Christian therapist. He doesn't have any quick fixes (I wish he did!). "Forgiveness" doesn't fix that damage that abuse did.

Geeky Gramma, you are not alone.