Triggered by the “mandatory” measures to wear masks and social distancing

Started by marta1234, October 16, 2020, 04:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marta1234

Hi. I know that a previous member has talked about face masks being triggering, but I wanted to know if anyone has been feeling triggered with the mandatory curfews and wearing of mask on transport and in the city center.
I wanted to also preface that I'd still wear a mask even if it wasn't mandatory on public transport or in stores (I understand the logic behind it). But for these past 5 months since these measures were taken, I've been constantly triggered when I read or hear or talk about the fact that these measures are "mandatory". Especially when at hindsight, it seems as if everyone "finds it normal" and aren't fazed by it. It's just this imposing of rules is triggering me back to my childhood, when so many things were "mandatory" or I had no choice whether I want to do it or not, and this abuse was brushed off or even ignored by everyone around me.
I do understand the importance of the distancing measures, but the fact that it has become a rule and that you will be "punished" if not obliged (with a fine), is very triggering.

Not Alone

Marta,
I'm not having the same reaction as you are, but it makes sense to me that you find not having a choice and the threat of "punishment" to be triggering. Completely makes sense.

marta1234

Thank you notalone for your validation. I sometimes feel like I'm too sensitive or becoming crazy.

rainydiary

Marta - the narrative around COVID has been triggering for me too as it brings back memories of being punished for not following rules.  It pushes me back into trying to be perfect and amps up my IC and OC.  I'm glad you brought this up as I don't think I've acknowledged this to myself before now.  I hope you are able to find some ease.

marta1234

Thank you Rainydiary for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. I no longer feel alone in this mess. It's interesting that you pointed out your IC and OC, and perfectionism. Maybe something like that is also going on in my mind. In any case, thank you all for your validation. :hug:

Blueberry

Quote from: notalone on October 16, 2020, 06:16:49 PM
Marta,
I'm not having the same reaction as you are, but it makes sense to me that you find not having a choice and the threat of "punishment" to be triggering. Completely makes sense.

:yeahthat:

Marta, you are not 'too' sensitive or going crazy. cptsd makes many things difficult that aren't difficult for people without.  :hug:

Lilypad

Yeah, I find all the lockdown measures triggering as they remind me of being controlled and neglected by my narc mum. I get why they are broadly necessary but it is triggering

suffersilence

Trigger warning.    well, you're not the only one.  I don't get triggered when wearing masks, but my anxiety get too high, and sometimes being constantly reminded and "scolded" and being told to wear masks, makes my anxiety get too high, and I have to withdraw and go into isolation (usually get in my car, and go out of the city, and drive alone in the countryside. it helps me get down from my intense anxiety).   what Triggers me is how people are suddenly becoming " mom" and telling me what to do, sometimes being "grumpy" and saying you have to....

Im going to keep this short. all righty.

Stay strong, stay positive, and "stop and smell the roses" choose an item or thing that gives you enjoyment, and do it, that way it will help you kind of forget the chaotic world.

Silence

marta1234

Thank you Lilypad and Suffersilence for your responses. I'm sorry that it's hard on you too.
As you said Lilypad, it reminds me of past family members being controlling around my life. Although I feel that for me the hardest part now is the constant "scolding" that people put out towards mask wearing, as suffersilence said. In my mind, the constant message and aggressiveness that you are faced on social media for example, just makes me want to tell them that "I'm wearing a mask so back off".
However, I do understand that it should be reiterated every once and then so that people still take into account all the guidelines. But I did want to mention this as one part of me is strongly triggered to these kinds of memories.

Alter-eg0

Quote from: marta1234 on October 16, 2020, 04:58:10 AM
Hi. I know that a previous member has talked about face masks being triggering, but I wanted to know if anyone has been feeling triggered with the mandatory curfews and wearing of mask on transport and in the city center.
I wanted to also preface that I'd still wear a mask even if it wasn't mandatory on public transport or in stores (I understand the logic behind it). But for these past 5 months since these measures were taken, I've been constantly triggered when I read or hear or talk about the fact that these measures are "mandatory". Especially when at hindsight, it seems as if everyone "finds it normal" and aren't fazed by it. It's just this imposing of rules is triggering me back to my childhood, when so many things were "mandatory" or I had no choice whether I want to do it or not, and this abuse was brushed off or even ignored by everyone around me.
I do understand the importance of the distancing measures, but the fact that it has become a rule and that you will be "punished" if not obliged (with a fine), is very triggering.

Oh my god, absolutely. I find this whole situation to be extremely triggering.
Not to mention the way people are throwing so much dirt at one another over it, instead of having an adult conversation about differences opinion or whatever.
People telling you that if you disagree, or if it makes you feel bad in whatever way, you're just a bad person, selfish ,or complaining. Suck it up.
It's definitely been having a toll on me.