How to journal - to honour and befriend my parts

Started by Hope67, October 18, 2020, 12:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Hi everyone,
In addition to the Journal I keep here in this forum, I also want to also start journalling on paper - and hoping to do so for the benefit of enabling my different parts to communicate.  So I wanted to ask if anyone could share their thoughts/experiences with regard to this.

I am wondering whether to just have a flowing diary where all  parts can write, or whether to have different books for each of them to write in - but I don't want to make it too complicated.

I have got quite a few different books already - none of them have been written in!  Part of the difficulty is wondering about how best to approach it, and I guess different parts are finding it difficult to let me start doing it.  Hence I haven't done it yet.

Any thoughts or reflections from anyone - I'd really like to hear them, as I feel sure it will help me make some decisions on how to proceed.

Thank you
Hope  :)

marta1234

Hi Hope, glad you’re taking this step  :hug: . For me, when I started writing, I remember it was so overwhelming (although I was at the start of my process, and as I know that you’re much further than I am). It was hard for me write anything, and I felt extremely hopeless. I know that now, after some time, I’ve been able to dissect and use writing as a way for my parts to speak. However, some of my parts are against speaking or writing, so most times I still feel this resistance and protest when I write in my journal. I don’t have different journals for specific parts, but do have 2 (1 in my bedroom and another in my living room). I write in the one that’s closest to me.
Hope you’re able to start your own journaling and sending you much support for that :hug:

Hope67

Hi Marta,
Thanks for sharing your experience of journalling - I really like the idea of having 2 journals and having them in different places, and using the one closest to hand - that really sounds good to me. 

It was interesting that you thought I was 'further' than you in a process - I thought - no, I don't think I am!!!  I often feel like I'm stalling and fumbling about - not necessarily knowing what I'm doing, or how I'm progressing.  So it was interesting to hear you say that.  I've not heard of the Munich therapy process - I think I'll look that up.

I think it's great that you have been able to use your journalling to 'dissect and use writing as a way for your parts to speak' - and you mentioning that some of your parts are against speaking or writing, that definitely matches my experience - I've felt resistance about it.  I remember doing it in some places in the forum, but it felt like a while ago, and sometimes when I read back things I've written, I am amazed by what I've actually written.

I'm sorry for responding with such a lengthy reply - I feel like I have LOTS of words in me today - like they are tumbling out.

I appreciate your reply and your thoughts and experiences.  Thank you.   :hug:

marta1234

Oh god, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to type "Munich" I meant "my"  :doh: . Really sorry about that!

OceanStar

Hi

I write, his is a little of my experience if any of it is useful then great, if not then please disregard.

I have a main note book and a small one I take out in my bag, that one has no identifying names etc in just incase I loose it, that one I only write in as me now.

I have noticed that my handwriting changes wildly, tho that's not through any conscious effort, so the parts of me are very distinguishable. I also sometimes draw or just make lines zigzags if writing words is too much. Sometimes using different media, ie felt pen, pencil, etc seems important, but I don't specifically have different pens for different ages. I have also turned the book upside down and started again at the back, often for a different style of writing rather than a 'different me' tho.

When I first started my main concern was confidentiality. Felt very vunerable but this has lessened over time.

I hope you're able to find something that works for you, it has really helped me.

I'd love to hear how you get on.

Hope67

Hi Marta,
I noticed that you mentioned the typo last night, so I didn't look up the therapy name.   :)

Hi OceanStar,
Thank you for sharing your experience - it is definitely useful, so thank you.  I particularly appreciated the lack of identifying names, that's a good thing to consider.  I was very interested to hear how you can see differences in your hand-writing and therefore are able to identify different parts from that.  Having the flexibility to approach your book from different angles - upside down, and at the back - I think that's really interesting.

I am glad to hear that your feelings of vulnerability have lessened over time.  I am hoping that this will be the same for me.

I will hope to keep you updated on how I get on, as I do want to share that.  I find it so helpful to read other people's experiences, and I also want to share mine as well.  Thank you for your reply, it's been very helpful and useful. 

OceanStar

Hi hope,

I was just wondering if you'd thought any more about journaling your different parts and how your getting on?

Hope67

Hi Oceanstar,
I am so sorry that it's taken me so long to reply to your query here - two years - I apologise. 

I didn't get very far with written journalling using pen and paper yet.  I've been listening to different parts of myself in a cognitive sense, but not writing things down. 

But, I think I'd like to try written journalling.  So maybe I'll try it in the following days.