Struggling to Draw

Started by Eidolon, November 01, 2020, 11:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eidolon

I need to finish a commission that I've had for almost a year. I said it would take a few weeks, maybe a few months, and I'm still not done with it. I haven't even started. I'm frustrated with myself because the reason I haven't done it is, "I don't know how."

That's not really an excuse. I just need to work harder to learn to draw asian features and samurai, but it feels like I won't ever learn. And that's not true! I just need to work harder, but it seems like I can't even get that right. Like I'll always be unable to draw it. Very frustrating.

Pioneer

I'm sorry for your struggle, Eidolon! I can relate to the feeling of my inner critic speaking so loud that I feel so stuck and frustrated. My husband and I have been trying to get a business going, also in the category of art, and one of our biggest struggles has been with my inner critic saying that "we can't". I tend to feel afraid, angry, hopeless, and then shameful. And the cycle repeats itself. And it has caused so much pain and many delays. The struggle is real.

If this is helpful, and please dismiss this thought if it isn't, I'd love to see what you are drawing sometime. Rough drafts are fun to see, as well. As a newbie in the art world, I'd love to be an encouragement. But if that's too stressful, no worries at all.

Thank you for sharing your struggle. It's good to be reminded that I am not alone in mine.

Eidolon

Quote from: Pioneer on November 17, 2020, 05:18:50 AM
I'm sorry for your struggle, Eidolon! I can relate to the feeling of my inner critic speaking so loud that I feel so stuck and frustrated. My husband and I have been trying to get a business going, also in the category of art, and one of our biggest struggles has been with my inner critic saying that "we can't". I tend to feel afraid, angry, hopeless, and then shameful. And the cycle repeats itself. And it has caused so much pain and many delays. The struggle is real.

If this is helpful, and please dismiss this thought if it isn't, I'd love to see what you are drawing sometime. Rough drafts are fun to see, as well. As a newbie in the art world, I'd love to be an encouragement. But if that's too stressful, no worries at all.

Thank you for sharing your struggle. It's good to be reminded that I am not alone in mine.
I appreciate this a lot! Thank you for taking the time to respond! I'm glad that it's not just me. Often, I feel very alone in my struggles, but I like knowing I am not alone. I haven't been able to draw in some time because the USB ports in my computer no longer work, but maybe I will ask my dad to let me use his computer tomorrow (later today?) He's asleep right now, so I can't quite do it yet. But maybe soon!  :cheer:

Pioneer

That's exciting, Eidolon! I hope you feel empowered and encouraged in the process  :cheer:  Looking forward to hearing more. Sending a hug if that's ok  :hug:

Violet Magenta

Hi Eidolan, in my experience, once I let the pressure off myself by saying something like, "These are only practice rough sketches that nobody will see, and I will make hundreds of them," will I then loosen up enough to improve in my drawing skills. It has to be kinda Yoda like: less trying and more just doing. Just being and doing as drawing. I'm not sure if this makes sense or will help at all. Please disregard if it's not for you. I've definitely been there, where I have paying creative work, and been at a total loss about how to go about it. It's even been kind of terrifying sometimes! And I'd be in denial about being afraid, only making it worse. Good on you for acknowledging you're anxious about it. :cheer: