The Diagnosis of Complex PTSD

Started by Kizzie, November 08, 2020, 03:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

In 2018 the World Health Organization (WHO) approved Complex PTSD as a separate and distinct diagnosis from PTSD to be included in the International Classification of Diseases Edition 11 (ICD-11):

Complex post traumatic stress disorder (Complex PTSD) is a disorder that may develop following exposure to an event or series of events of an extremely threatening or horrific nature, most commonly prolonged or repetitive events from which escape is difficult or impossible (e.g. torture, slavery, genocide campaigns, prolonged domestic violence, repeated childhood sexual or physical abuse). All diagnostic requirements for PTSD are met. In addition, Complex PTSD is characterised by severe and persistent 1) problems in affect regulation; 2) beliefs about oneself as diminished, defeated or worthless, accompanied by feelings of shame, guilt or failure related to the traumatic event; and 3) difficulties in sustaining relationships and in feeling close to others. These symptoms cause significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. (Reference: https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#/http://id.who.int/icd/entity/585833559)

Complex PTSD has not yet been accepted into the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (APA DSM), the other diagnostic manual commonly used around the world.   

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on November 08, 2020, 03:50:46 PM
These symptoms cause significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

I know this is OT somewhat, not the purpose of your post, Kizzie, but I am so heartened to see in occupational or other important areas of functioning in that list because for so long that wasn't seen, understood or aknowledged by Ts in my case.

Kizzie

Me too BB, I love that it clearly takes into account the whole person and the areas of our lives affected by CPTSD.   :thumbup:

Now if we could just get the MH world to rename the diagnosis to something that focuses on how we developed symptoms in the first place (and the fact that trauma is often not in the past), versus us as disordered in some way I would be content - relational trauma response or something along those lines that clearly conveys we responded normally to abnormal trauma inflicted at the hands of others. 

Next battle to be fought  ;D