Somatic Experiencing

Started by Geneva, November 15, 2020, 05:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I agree with the need for us to have a mixed method therapy that addresses the various symptoms/responses we have.  In fact it looks like the big names in trauma are beginning to say the same thing. Dr. Judith Herman (first to propose Complex PTSD in the 1990's) suggests, however, that the field needs to look at just what is effective:

Since it is not realistic to expect that practitioners will become expert in numerous different, specialized techniques, some researchers now suggest that we might be ready to shift our focus from studies of competing models to studies that elucidate the common features of effective therapies.

This makes sense to me; look at the most effective bits of a number of models (and there are so many), and then develop an evidence based, holistic model for treating Complex PTSD.  I'm fairly certain it would include relational, somatic and neurological components, at least that's what I would hope for.

Redwing1972

hello all...from sunny Canada
am just midway through year 4 of therapy. It started as SE and added new features as needed. Brainspotting being the latest, a kind EMDR derivative especially for trauma. Very powerful...

Two books I have found very useful are: Nurturing Resilience, Kathy Kain/Stephen Terrell, and Healing Developmental Trauma, Laurence Heller.
My therapist uses a lot of the Kain/Terrell material, especially the Primitive Reflex Exercises, which are awesome. We did a whole year of those once a week on Zoom.

This seems to be a long and winding journey, sometimes patience leaves, but then returns.

all the best,
Stay well
Redwing

Kizzie

Hello to a fellow Canadian  :heythere:   We're just finally coming out of 2 week long deep freeze where I live - 25 and colder every day.  It supposed to go into the plus temps for a few days so fingers crossed.  It's been way too cold!

Anyway, it sounds like your T has used quite a few different therapies which seems to confirm that CPTSD requires a holistic approach.  I don't know much about brainspotting or primitive reflex work.  If you're so inclined I'd love to hear more.

You're so right about patience, mine waxes and wanes too. It's just a long journey which makes sense I guess given our trauma was ongoing. 

Redwing1972

Hi Kizzie...
yeah patience, acceptance of present experience and no expectations...sometimes it is hard...lol

primitive reflexes: my T took training with Stephen Terrell, he co wrote the resilience book mentioned in my original post. There is a whole healing sequence in the body work training, the primitive reflexes are an "enhancement" They are quite incredible to do as an adult, one has no idea that birth/prenatal trauma has affected development...
here is a link: https://www.lynnhellerstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Primitive_Reflexes-1.pdf

Brainspotting is a another weird one, as my T admits she is a little on the bleeding edge when it comes to new stuff, so we get to try things..:-) Essentially the developer was and EMDR therapist who was noticing some clients reactions to where they were looking...story in link below.
https://brainspotting.com/
I have only done a few sessions of it, very useful if one has a specific issue arising....

one day at a time, mostly... :wave:
stay well and warm...
Redwing

paul72

very interesting Redwing... a bit difficult to go through at the moment, but have saved the page to explore later

Geneva

Have been off the forum for a while, revisiting this thread. Been working with an Internal Family Systems practitioner for the last two years who's a psychotherapist. Parts work and body awareness and it's bearing fruit. Finding myself interested in psychedelic supported psychotherapy although it turns out my strongest protector parts have many concerns about it. Early days.