Talk by Richard Schwartz today

Started by Hope67, November 16, 2020, 11:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Hi everyone,
I have got a link to a talk by Richard Schwartz which is about 'Making Peace with your Parts' and it is within a free online event hosted by Pi Venus Winslow which is entitled 'Trusting After Trauma: Rebuilding Resiliency After Narcissistic Abuse'.

I thought it would be of interest to others, so putting the link here:
https://trustingaftertraumasummit.com/day-1-rt01/#section1
I've not watched it yet - I'm hoping to watch it later today - and I think it's available for 24 hours to watch for free.  The date as I post this is 16th November 2020.

Hope  :)

Snowdrop

Not Alone

Thanks, Hope. I watched the interview with Schwartz. It was interesting to watch him process with someone.

Hope67

Hi Snowdrop - hope you get chance to watch it.

Hi Notalone - glad you found it interesting.

I managed to watch it later yesterday, and found it helpful.  I took these notes - very sketchy indeed, but this is what I wrote:

"Narcissitic parents - pleasing people not to be abandoned.  Protectors.  Parentified children - carry all responsibility, but not equipped.  Still think you're 7 years old.  Greater than the sum of the parts.  No bad parts.  Exiled parts - cut off from precious qualities.  More access to 'who you are' doing work of IFS (internal family systems).

I realise those notes won't make much sense, but I wanted to just put them there.

Snowdrop

Thank you for writing your notes here, Hope. I watched the interview, and like Notalone, I found it interesting to watch him use IFS with someone.

Hope67

Hi Snowdrop,
Yes, I think it is interesting too - I wanted to say that I've seen Richard Schwartz do that kind of work with a few people now, and each time I see him do it with someone, I find that I end up thinking that I don't know how the people who are using examples from their life can do it so spontaneously, as I feel sure I would struggle so much in that situation.  I find I have inner parts of me that are unsure about whether the other person is really genuine about their response.  Like the situation when people looked at the Emporer with no clothes, and said 'see, he is wearing amazing clothes' versus the child who looked and said, but he's not wearing anything.

It's like I can't believe their process is real. 

I feel as if I'm speaking on behalf of a part of myself which is critical and distrustful of the process, but I know that I hugely respect Richard Schwartz - I think it's the people who present the conferences that I'm less sure of.  I think parts of me are distrustful of them.

I feel like I want to apologise all the time for myself at the moment.  I feel like I'm crossing boundaries and not doing things correctly.  I feel bad for writing this here now - but I've been wanting to say it.  So I've said it.

I'll leave this here, but if it's inappropriate I don't mind if someone wants to erase it.

Snowdrop

I don't think you've written anything inappropriate, Hope. You've said nothing wrong.

I've sometimes l wondered if the presenters might feel a bit put on the spot. There might be things they don't want to say on camera, and maybe they feel a bit wary about where it's all going. Maybe parts of you pick up on this, and feel distrustful. Just a thought.

Hope67

Hi Snowdrop,
Thank you - I feel reassured by what you said.  I think I was in an EF yesterday, and I felt like there were protector parts around. 

I do relate to what you said about picking up on the waryness of the presenter, and being put in the situation of having to do personal work in full view of a vast audience, that would be so challenging in many ways.  So I think you're right, that my distrustful parts picked up on the waryness, and because some of my parts would be reluctant to open themselves up to do that kind of work, for fear of what it might unearth, then maybe they were trying to say to me 'Be careful with this'.

Anyway, I am thankful to you for writing what you did, and it does make sense to me.