What are you thankful for?

Started by Pioneer, November 17, 2020, 09:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer

I am so often buried in my own emotions that I don't look around me to process what I am thankful for. I think actively thinking about what I am thankful for is healthy for my recovery. You're welcome to join in!

I am thankful for:

Beautiful blue sky
A safe environment for my family
Being able to laugh and cry some
Uplifting music

woodsgnome

My perfectionist part, probably 'working' for my inner critic, is sure I'll forget something, if not most of what I'm thankful for. So here's just what pops in at this moment:

1) that I survived at all
2) my cat, nestled on my arm as I write this
3) a wise, caring, and patient therapist I wish I'd known years ago
4) a cozy home set in a peaceful wooded area
5)  this web forum, where fellow survivors can find comfort and understanding from each other, against great odds of ever finding anyone who'd 'get it'  :)

Pioneer

I like those, Woodsgnome!  :) I am also really thankful for:

- This forum where I am finding a community that understands, which is so comforting to me. I feel really privileged.
- Our pets which are therapeutic for me
- Some seemingly good medical care for my husband and myself as we recover both emotionally and physically from everything
- Becoming more aware of my inner and outer critic (thanks to Pete Walker's book), and starting to see my husband more consistently as my support and friend instead of as my adversary
- Our precious kids and the opportunity to raise them in a safe place

Pioneer

Also thankful for:

A caring little church community where my family feels safe

Some free food boxes, with enough to share with some friends  :)

Discovering that I can be myself and not the person my abusers were trying to make me to be

marta1234

Thank you Pioneer for starting this.  :hug: I also wanted to add my list (in no particular order):
1) I'm grateful for this forum and community
2) I'm grateful to have survived at all (I hope using woodsgnome's words is alright)
3) I'm grateful to have friends and family that I can lean on for support

Pioneer

Thanks marta1234  :hug: I like your thankfuls! I also find myself borrowing words from woodsgnome because they are so well worded  :)
Today is a day where it would be especially good for me to think about my thankfuls, so thanks for the encouragement and reminder!

I am thankful for:
1) The support I am getting from friends and this community
2) My husband's heart procedure went well. Though we still not not have the medical answers we are looking for, we have another procedure coming up that should help with some of his symptoms!
3) I am able to take it easy today and do some self-care

Pioneer

I am needing my thankfuls today.

1) I am being comforted by a cup of hot black tea. That is very strange to say because for a long time I thought I was allergic to black tea, but I recently discovered that it was not an allergy but instead a symptom/cause of neglect that made me think I was.

2) I have reached out to my husband today and feel comforted by that.

3) Allowing myself to feel my 9-year-old child self today and comfort her instead of running away. It's huge progress.