Wingsunclipped

Started by wingsunclipped, November 20, 2020, 05:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingsunclipped

Thank you for inviting me to OOTS. I was diagnosed last year with CPTSD and APD and have been lucky enough to have a team of people helping me with treatment including body work (literal translation) and EMDR. In short my traumas started with physical abuse as a child, moving through to extreme violence in the military and finishing with the trauma of being a partner helper and losing a number of family members and colleagues through sickness over a short period of time. It has beeen really hard to try to explain how i feel or the process i will go through when trying to fit into a social environment, to others including my family whom i love dearly. But like everyone else,  i have never been able to really connect, or communicate with and then spent years finding excuses to say no to invitations. I have joined other forums and while i have been more than happy to offer support i have often withdrawn or panicked when finally thinking i have the courage to write and introduce myself. So i have never actively engaged, until now and to be honest i am absolutely terrified.

I chose my user name Wingsunclipped because the first 20 years of my life my wings were clipped whether by individuals or institutions and the next 20 years i kept them clipped myself as i was to frightened about how i may react in certain situations. The last 12 months of therapy and also my own hard work in wanting to change have been extremely painful and hard but also rewarding as for the first time in my life i can actually feel that i have a connection with myself, rather than the absolute chaos i had in my head and the numbness from the neck down. My wings have been unclipped.....but i still have a lot to do to be able to have the courage to fly. And this forum is where i hope i can learn from all of you without fear or judgement. Thank you and wishing you all strength in your journeys.

Hope67

Hi wingsunclipped,
I would like to welcome you to OOTS.  You wished us all strength in our journeys, which is a kind thing to do, and I thank you for that.  I would also like to wish you strength too along your journey, and I'm glad you've taken the step to post here, and I hope that you will find this place to be helpful and supportive of you on your journey.  I have certainly found it to be invaluable to my own.  Wishing you the best.

:heythere:

Hope  :)

Not Alone

Welcome.  :heythere: I like your name and the reason that you are using "wingsunclipped."

woodsgnome

Welcome  :wave:

It can be a huge step, or leap actually, to take flight with wings finally unclipped. It's a scary place, too -- the freedom to fly.

Your intro also reminded me of a song from decades ago by the folksinger Kate Wolf. If it's alright, I'm including a link to it below; as I feel it describes well this new feeling of finally flying free.

The song can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PKDDeU4gog&ab_channel=KateWolf-Topic

Snowdrop

Welcome to the forum, Wingsunclipped :wave:. Thank you for having the courage to post. I hope you find this a place of healing.